Chapter 5

I rushed over to the bathroom downstairs and patted the wet towel under my nostrils, trying to get rid of the blood. I had woke up to a metal taste in my mouth and a stream of red on my pillow. My immediate reaction had been to rush down the stairs, hence where I am right now; in the bathroom, my head over the sink, blood dripping everywhere on the counters.

I heard the door open and I quickly turned to see Eddie. He looked more tired than me, which is really saying something. His hair was sticking up and sticking down, some strands curly, wavy, or straight. No shirt and gym shorts. He didn't seem to notice me at first, so I let out a forced cough to catch his attention. His squinting eyes opened up a bit and he turned to me.

"Get out," was all he said before popping his knuckles in a threatening manner. I gulped and rushed out. Looking up at the clock on the wall it was 12 PM. Everyone was awake: Dad was helping Carrie make brunch, Elise and Ellia were watching The Office, Jack was laying on the couch playing his phone, Callie was sitting on the dining table, blabbering about her new boyfriend, and Eddie was in the bathroom doing whatever.

I relaxed my weight onto the couch and snatched the TV remote from Elise, blocking out her yelling to give back the remote. I switched to the news to see if there was anything about...last night. To my delight but also slight concern, the massacre was on every channel. I was expecting Ellia and Elise to walk back upstairs to watch anime. Surprisingly they didn't, and everyone dropped what they were doing to watch the news with me. 

A reporter with a strong and demanding voice talked about the massacre, "Last night at approximately 12:30 AM, Clarkston, Michigan, a bloody massacre was committed on the train tracks near the large infamous forest. There were 13 bodies in total, all males. The bodies were too mauled to identify. Blood tests showed that all men were on a numerous amount of drugs. There were no fingerprints that were identified as human's, there were footprints but much too large to belong to any human. Police think that the men were killed by an animal that emerged from the forest."

The news then proceeded to show pictures of the bodies and crime scene, but before we could see, Carrie shut the TV off. We all began to groan and wine, but Carrie fought back with the cliche, "You're all too young to see such gruesome scenes, and besides, you have morning chores to do!"

Instead of complaining and fighting, we all headed to our chore areas: Ellia stayed in the living room, Callie to the bathroom, Jack to the upstairs bedrooms, Elise to the kitchen, Eddie to the porch, and me to the basement. Most kids would be scared of a basement that is constantly flooding , emits strange noises at night, is completely empty, and when we first moved into the house there was a noose in one of the "side-rooms" of the basement.

But not me, I've been having to clean this basement for 11 years. I know what to expect, what not to, etc. Heading down the stairs with my cleaning supplies in hand, I flicked on the eery placed light bulb that dangled from the ceiling. I ignored the sounds of rusting pipes and footsteps, the laughing that I would hear in my head and the shapes and forms my disorder would make out of the shadows and illusions.