Chapter 2

My first period was English. All my teachers have labeled me a writing prodigy, the teacher to first give me that name was my English teacher, Mr. Edward. Mr. Edward might be my favorite teacher; he's funny and really relaxed, but he's still smart. He recently just turned 61 I'm pretty sure, but he doesn't look like he's 61, he looks like he's in his older 40s.

I love Mr. Edward, I love his class and how he teaches, but I hate my peers. I hate everyone in this school. Everyone in the class are idiots, they never pay attention to the lesson. They're always disrupting everyone around them and don't let anyone get their work done. But I guess that's just how middle school is, right? I sat down in my seat, the second row all the way to the left. Once everyone got settled in, Mr. Edward discussed with us our opinions on the passage we were supposed to read last night. I read it, but I could barely remember anything because of how chaotic this morning was; with the nightmare that I barely remember and Eddie shaking me to wake up.

A few minutes into the discussion, Emanuel and his goons walked through the door.

"Late Mr. Williams, as usual. You and your friends stay after class, I'll talk to you later."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, Mark."

Emanuel has had a tendency to call all his teachers by their first names, I guess to him he sees it as this huge sign of disrespect and it'll make him cooler. I don't know. Mr. Edward being the calm teacher he is doesn't care all that much, but I can't say the same for the other teachers. Emanuel and his friends took their seats, and Mr. Edward continued the lesson. Now, I sit next to the most bullied kid in the grade, Ryan, which means every time some pricks decide to pick on him I have to hear it.

"Hey, fatty, got any new toys for me?" Nathan Wright, one of Emanuel's goons, stood up from his chair and made his way towards Ryan, slamming his hand on Ryan's desk. Ryan flinched and responded, "N-Nathan, that was a o-one time thing. I-It's not like-" Once again Nathan slammed his hand on Ryan's desk, "SHUT IT FAGGOT!" You may be wondering what Mr. Edward is doing about this. Well, nothing. I love Mr. Edward but what sucks about him is that he doesn't bother to break up these fights. So far the whole screaming session I had been reading my book as peacefully as I could, I just heard and saw all of this from the corner of my eye. But suddenly, gasps and the sound of phone cameras came, and out of confusion, I looked up from my book to find Ryan on the floor crying with a bloody nose, bruised lip, and tears streaming down his face.

I don't remember what happened after that. As soon as I saw what had happened to Ryan, everything went in slow motion. I saw Nathan get on top of Ryan to continue the beatings, I saw all the girls pull out their phones and take pictures, I saw all the boys stand behind Nathan to back him up. But no one stood behind Ryan, no one bothered to help.

No one was there for Ryan...

I don't know why, but that was the last thing I heard before I blacked out.

When I woke up, I was holding Nathan at least ten centimeters off the ground by his throat, his face was turning blue. For a minute, I just stood there, letting myself choke him 'till he was bluer than methylene. But once it settled in my brain what I was doing, my body realized it shouldn't have this much strength. I dropped Nathan and fell to my knees, Nathan was out cold. The security guard burst through the door, along with a few police guards I recognized from younger grades. They all had guns and tasers, pointing at Nathan and I. Kids were screaming and backed up against walls to avoid the authorities. Some kids were crying, not knowing what to do.

The last few things I remember before fainting are being put in handcuffs, a few nurses running to Ryan and Nathan, and the taste of blood running from my nose to my mouth.