Ten

Jasmine woke up with a headache and hunger pains. She slipped her feet inside of Derick's slippers and shuffled down the stairs to the kitchen. She forgot about last night's events in the fog of her headache. All she thought of was food. Food and the pounding in her head. She squinted against the blinding light when she pulled open the door to the fridge and pulled out a cup of yogurt. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to get some relief as she reached for the cabinet that housed the glasses. Pulling one out, she ran the faucet catching just enough water that she might take a couple Tylenol.

      Once she swallowed the tablets, she hung her head low between her shoulders, her hands posted on the counter. With her eyes closed she breathed deeply in hopes that she could rid herself of the headache.

      Her stomach growled at her, reminding her that she had more than one problem. She unwillingly opened her eyes so she could locate a spoon and the cup of yogurt she pulled from the fridge. She took the two with her back upstairs.

      Jasmine removed the foil top and licked the lid out of habit. She crossed through the bedroom door and into the bathroom to toss the foil away in the bathroom trash can before moving over to the bed. She set the cup down on the bedside table and crawled back into bed. Once she was settled against the headboard she picked up her yogurt and savored each bite, becoming slightly disappointed when she reached the bottom before her hunger was sated. She contemplated going back down to get something else to eat, but that headache was so bad.

      The phone on the table rang, only amplifying the pulse in her head. Jasmine snatched it up before it had the opportunity to ring again.

      "Jazz, are you okay?" Derick asked. He'd lay next to her the whole night, and listened to her toss and turn. She moaned and whimpered like a broken thing, and he tried multiple times to gather her into his embrace, but each time she pushed him away.

     "I have a horrible headache," she whined. A tear slipped from the corner of her closed eyes. "Derick, I miss you so much. It's so hard living without you."

      He reached out, but pulled back before he touched his hand to her cheek. "Jazz, I wish things were different." He wanted to ask her what was going on with the technician. He wanted to demand that she tell him what they did yesterday. Why she felt the need to bathe before returning home. Why she smelled like his soap. He also wanted to pretend he didn't see the exchange. He wanted to lock her inside of the house so she never left him again.

      "Me, too."

      Jasmine's breath deepened, slowed, evened out. Her hand slipped, still clutching the phone. Her head tipped to the side. Derick slipped his hands beneath her and moved her down to sleep.

....

      Her cell phone woke her up with the incessant buzzing. She blindly reached for it on the night stand and flicked the green icon answering the call as she pressed it to her ear. "Hello?" Her voice was groggy, apparently amusing the person on the other end.

      "Oh, Miss Jasmine, I woke you!" The strong African accent made her smile. Bandile's voice pulled her own smile to her lips.

      "You did, Bandile, and you should be ashamed of yourself for disturbing my beauty sleep!' she teased.

      He laughed, a jovial noise that made her spirits rise. "Well, Miss Jasmine, I was calling to tell you that all of your students will be returning, and that you have another four students this year. I have also found a good deal on plane tickets. Can you come this Friday?"

     "Of course I can!" Jasmine forgot all about the annual trip. Every fall she flew to Upington and was shuttled to a small village in Namibia to teach children. She would stay there for four months of the year not only teaching the kids how to read write and mathematics, but also techniques to take with them back to their respective villages to teach others. "I'm so glad you called. Things have been so hectic here. I can't wait to get some normalcy again."