Chapter Nine

"I have the perfect idea for the float," Luke told me as he came from his office in the back of the bar. He sat down on one of the bar stools and placed a drawing on the bar. "What do you think?"

The float was extremely simple, which I immediately liked. Instead of some large trailer being pulled, he had drawn my father's truck, but it was no longer just the dark blue. It had an incredible design painted on it that used the existing dark blue with red and white to make an abstract design that looked patriotic. In the back of the truck, toward the window, was an arch that said Thank you at the top.

"It's washable paint. I realized the other day, when I left your house, that I didn't want you to have to do extra work for me to get a float that is to celebrate Memorial Day. So, when Will offered to paint the truck, I thought it was perfect."

"It's... it's incredible," I admitted. Even if I didn't like the guy, skill was skill.

"The only problem is that I would need your truck for a while. I mean, obviously I'd let you use my car so you aren't vehicle-less."

"You can take my truck, but I don't need your car. It's fine."

"But you need a vehicle–"

"Luke, don't worry about it." I pulled my keys out of my pocket, took off the truck key, and placed it on top of the drawing.

He smiled and put the key in his pocket.

"Make sure he doesn't mess it up."

He nodded in agreement then grabbed his drawing and left the bar. I could hear my truck start and smiled slightly–the distant rumble reminded me of my father.

After work, I headed to a used car dealership to look for a car. I didn't want to drive my father's truck everywhere and put a ton of miles on it anyway. So, it being gone seemed like the perfect time to find a cheap car.

As I browsed the rows of used vehicles, my eyes fell on a tan, two-door Ford Escort that was absolutely perfect. I grinned and glanced into the window at the tan cloth seats that were slightly stained, but not too terribly.

"Can I help you?" A man called out from the other side of the car where the building was.

"I want this car."

The salesman grinned. "It's a '95, but the engine was rebuilt in 2010 and the transmission was replaced two years ago. It's been kept up very well by the owner and our mechanics have given it a tune up."

"Well, let's get the paperwork then. I'll be paying in cash."

He looked at me in surprise, but then quickly nodded and gestured for me to follow. A couple hours later I drove home in my new, old car.

"Where's your truck?" Emily called from her yard when I got home.

I crossed the grass and looked back at my car. "Luke is using my truck for the Memorial Day parade, and I needed something to drive anyone so I'm not putting a ton of miles on my dad's truck."

"Yeah, he told me about your truck–it sounds like it's going to be awesome."

"It looked like a pretty awesome design. I'll be interested to see how it turns out."

"It was nice of you to let them borrow it."

I shrugged. "It's not a big deal."

When I looked back at Emily I noticed there was a red convertible in her driveway. "Company?"

"Yeah, my parents are visiting for the month."

"A whole month?"

She laughed. "They only get to visit once a year, so they stay a month and usually rotate what major holiday month—but this year they could only make it at this time.