Chapter Twenty-one

I stepped off the bus and glanced around at the neighborhood that had once been home to me. Although everything still looked the same, it didn't feel the same. The streets that had been so cold and empty before now held a new light. A brighter light. The warm childhood memories that had disappeared were there again welcoming me with open arms. I picked my duffel bag up and walked the rest of the way home. Maybe I wasn't completely fixed, but I had myself under control and that's all that mattered. I wasn't a danger to anyone anymore, including myself.

The few blocks I had to walk home felt quick. Soon, I was standing in front of my door about to open it up when someone suddenly said, "Welcome home." It was Emily. She was standing at her own door grinning.

"Hey, Emily." I walked to the edge of my porch. "How're you?"

"I'm doing great! Turns out life can be a lot better when you dump an asshole narcissist."

"You broke up with your boyfriend?"

She nodded her head. "After the Fourth of July. He wouldn't spend any of the day with me and my parents and somehow managed to turn it around like I was the bad guy. I just had enough of it."

"I'm definitely glad to hear that." I looked at my duffel bag still hanging by my side. "Well, I'm going to get unpacked and settled. I'll catch you later." I smiled then headed inside to put away all of my clothes.

It wasn't until about six-thirty that I received a text from Luke asking me to join him and Emily at another art show. Remembering what my therapist had said about taking opportunities handed to me, I replied with a yes and got ready to go. I was told it was a different gallery, so I let Emily drive us there—at her own insistence.

"Okay, I have to admit something," Emily started as we drove to Luke's apartment to pick him up. "We aren't going to a show. Luke has a surprise party waiting for you."

"What?" I turned my head to face her.

"He wanted to do something nice for you, and I think it's super sweet. But I was thinking maybe it wasn't a good thing. I don't know. I'm sorry if you would have rather it be a surprise."

My frown about the party turned into a smile. "No... Thanks for telling me. I much rather know than be surprised. I'm not a fan of parties." Of course, it hadn't always been that way, which is probably why Luke decided a party was the best thing. I used to love parties. Maybe not surprise ones—which he was well aware of—but I used to think parties were awesome.

When we got to Luke's apartment, we went up to the third floor and knocked on his door. Luke opened it and stepped aside for us to enter.

"Surprise!" A choir of voices yelled loudly. My eyes widened and I looked around at all of the familiar faces. The most surprising one being Tom's.

My eyes flicked to Luke, he was grinning ear to ear as though he didn't know how annoying I would find a surprise party.

"Hey, Taylor," Tom greeted as he stuck his hand out. He looked the exact same as when we were teenagers, but bigger.

I immediately shook his hand. "Man, it's been forever. How're you? What's new?"

"I've been good. Own my own sports business now."

"Wow, nice. How's that going for you?"

"Surprisingly well." He beamed proudly. "I played a little football in college but decided it wasn't what I wanted to do. Got a degree in business and opened up my own store. Didn't think it would do well, but it did."

"Congratulations man, I'm glad to hear that." Just then, Sara's face appeared as she began to approach. "And there's Sara," I said as soon as she was beside us.