Chapter 3 Arriving at Winterfell.

Ned, Howland, Torrhen, Jon, Jon's wetnurse, Dania Sawler, and Torrhen's Dornish nursemaid, Abagal Saller sailed from King's Landing to White Harbor the next day. It would take them two weeks to reach White Harbor from there; then, they would ride to Winterfell. When they arrived at Winterfell, Ned was greeted by his new wife. She had a baby in her arms. Catelyn Stark presented their son Robb, who she had named after the King, to Ned. Ned took the baby in his arms and smiled when he saw that the baby had red hair and Tully blue eyes. From behind him still sitting on the horse, Ned heard Torrhen, “Papa, may I see the baby?”

Catelyn's smile fell when she saw a toddler sitting on Ned's horse. The boy had black hair and looked just like Ned but had stunning violet eyes. Ned handed Robb back to his mother and turned around to take Torrhen off the horse. Ned patted his bottom, “Perhaps later, Torrhen,” Ned said then set Torrhen on his feet.

Ned took Torrhen by his hand and led him over to Catelyn, “My Lady, allow me to introduce you to my son, Torrhen Stark.”

“Don't you mean Snow, My Lord Husband,” Catelyn asked.

“No I do not, Torrhen is my trueborn son from my first wife, Ashara Dayne. He has been living with my deceased wife's family for three years.”

Catelyn remembered hearing from Brandon when they met that Ned had married a Dornish woman, and she later learned that his wife had died. Catelyn had no idea that a child had come from the marriage.

Catelyn suddenly realized that her son Robb was not going to be the heir to Winterfell, but Ned's firstborn son, Torrhen. Unless she talked to her father, and they could get Torrhen declared a bastard. She would send her father a letter as soon as possible.

While these thoughts were running through Catelyn's head, Torrhen pulled on Ned's hand, “What about Jon?”

Catelyn's eyes narrowed, “Who is Jon?”

Howland Reed stepped forward with a bundle in his arms and handed it to Ned. He then took Torrhen's hand. Ned stepped forward and showed his Lady Wife the baby in the bundle, “This is my bastard, Jon. Though King Robert has Legitimized him, the babe is now a Stark as well.”

Catelyn's face turned red with anger and shame. She was well aware that men fathered bastards, but Catelyn never thought that her husband, who was supposed to be so honorable, would do such a thing. Catelyn squared her shoulders, “Lord Husband, I've had a feast prepared for your return. I'm sure you and Lord, Reed would like to rest before the feast. Rooms will be prepared for the children and the servants.”

“Thank you, My Lady Wife,” Ned said stiffly.

With that, Catelyn curtsied, she then turned with Robb in her arms and went back inside. Once she was inside, Catelyn handed Robb to his wetnurse. She called Vayon Poole over and told him to prepare rooms for Ned's sons and their nurses, “What rooms would you like me to give them, My Lady?”

“Put the children in the West wing with their nurses.”

Vayon hesitated, then bowed. He called some servants over to get the rooms prepared. While that was going on, Ned, handed Jon back to Dania and picked up Torrhen. He led everyone into Winterfell and had one of the servants take Howland to his room so that he could bathe and rest before dinner.

Ned walked to his room that was adjacent to Cat's and went inside. He put Torrhen on the bed and turned to the servant that was following behind him and Torrhen's nursemaid, “Where did my Lady Wife set up my sons' rooms?”

“Lady Catelyn has ordered that they are set up in the West wing of Winterfell, My Lord.”

“That is unacceptable. I want my sons' placed in these halls. Give Torrhen Brandon's old room and put Jon in the room with Robb.”