Chapter 6 Animal Whisperer

Holding onto Torrhen's hand, Ned led his son to the one place that gave Ned any sense of peace, the godswood. The godswood of Winterfell consists of three acres of forest within the walls of Winterfell. The godswood's multitude of trees creates a dense canopy over old, packed earth and humus and moss. Common trees include ash, chestnut, elm, hawthorn, ironwood, oak, sentinel, and soldier pine. At the center of the grove stands an ancient weirwood with a face carved into it, a heart tree standing over a pool of black water

Across the godswood from the heart tree, beneath the windows of the Guest House, underground hot springs fed three small pools, with a moss-covered wall looming above them. The godswood is enclosed by walls and is accessed by a main iron gate. Snow shrikes can be seen now that the godswood is covered in snow.

Torrhen shivered when he saw the weirwood. His magic began to pulsate in his blood, responding to the magic in the tree. It almost felt like someone was watching him from behind the carved eyes of the tree. Ned led Torrhen over to the tree and sat down on the root. He picked up Torrhen and put him on his lap and sighed, “This place has always calmed me. When I had problems with your Uncle Brandon or your Aunt Lyanna, I would come here to be alone and pray to the Old Gods.”

“It's nice here, Papa, I like it. Can I come here too?”

Ned smiled at his son, “Not by yourself, Torrhen, you are too young.”

“Abby can bring me,” Torrhen told his father.

“Aye, she could, but you still need to have a guard bring you as well; I don't want to take the chance of an animal attacking you,” Ned told his son.

“Alright, Papa, we'll bring a guard.”

Ned and Torrhen sat quietly for a while until finally, Torrhen spoke up, “Papa?”

“Aye, Torrhen?”

“Do you miss Mama?”

“Very much, Torrhen.”

There was a long pause, and Ned suddenly heard Torrhen sniffle. He looked down at his son and noticed that Torrhen was crying, “What's the matter, son?”

“I'm sorry, Papa.”

“Sorry for what?”

“It's my fault, Mama died.”

Ned's eyes widen, and he hugged his son fiercely, “No, little one, it is not your fault that your mother died.”

“You're not mad at me?”

“Never, Torrhen. Do you think your mother would have been happy if you had died? Do you think I would? Please don't think like that, Torrhen, you are not to blame.”

*Your father is right, Torrhen. Your mother gladly gave her life so that you could live.* Arthur told his nephew.

Torrhen hiccupped, “Thank you, Papa.”

Ned kissed his son's head, “You have nothing to thank me for, Torrhen. You are my son, and I love you more than my own life.”

Torrhen hugged Ned's neck and kissed his cheek, “I love you too, Papa.”

Ned cleared his throat and stood up with Torrhen in his arms, “Come along, Torrhen, let me show you the stables I want you to see what Northern horses look like.”

Torrhen's violet eyes lit up; he couldn't wait to see the horses. He wiggled out of Ned's arms and took off running, “Come on, Papa, let's go to the stables,” Torrhen yelled then paused, he gave Ned a confused look, “Where are the stables, Papa?”