Chapter 14

Brant clenched his jaw and swallowed. "On what terms?" 

Eagle smoothed his beard again. "In the likely chance I win, you and all your companions die. And in the off chance you beat me, your party may go free, and I will submit myself to be taken captive. My men, however, will continue on their way." 

"I only agree if you promise no sneaky business. They can't turn around and strike us stealthily." 

Eagle nodded. "That's fair." 

"And what weapon do I get?" 

"You may borrow a sword and dagger each from me." 

Brant raised an eyebrow. "And you get to use all the others? That's awfully unfair." 

"Who is at whom's mercy here, again? You should be grateful I'm not killing you outright." 

Brant sighed. "Okay, fine. I accept." 

Eagle unsheathed the dagger on his left arm and the sword from his right side. He placed the weapons into Brant's hands after he rose from his knees. While the bearded swordsman raised his voice and repeated the terms for his men, Brant studied the sword. 

Its single blade was long for a one-handed weapon, and quite slender. Despite its thinness, however, it was quite sturdy, impossible for a man of lesser strength to bend. The blade tapered to an acute angle, perfect for making deep cuts with minimal effort. Brant grimaced. "To first blood" could still be fatal, as no parameters were set for how deep the one cut could be. Gotta be careful. 

Brant flourished the sword as Eagle turned to face him again. He took a deep breath and waited. The two men locked eyes, and both swallowed visibly. 

Eagle engaged first with a quick step forward and a thrust. Brant batted the blow away and swung his own down at Eagle's shoulder. He blocked with his dagger. 

Brant leapt back just in time to evade a return swing from the sword. He breathed and steadied his stance, eyes darting over his opponent for an opening. 

Brant lunged forward with an upward swing. Eagle bashed Brant's weapon down and swung his own at his opponent's neck. Brant gasped and ducked with wide eyes. While crouched, he thrusted his dagger at Eagle's shin. He kicked the blade aside with his other foot and swung the sword down again. 

With a sideways roll, Brant evaded the blow and retrieved his dagger in the process. He leapt to his feet to block another swing and kicked Eagle back a few feet. 

Eagle ran in close with gritted teeth and an easily-telegraphed blow poised above his head. Brant narrowed his eyes and made no move to block, seeing through the fakery. With a swift movement, he blocked the swordsman's real attack and shoved him back again with his elbow. 

Brant inhaled again and charged forward. He swung at Eagle's shoulder. As he hoped, the swordsman blocked, leaving himself open to a stab with the dagger. Quick reflexes saved him, and his own dagger darted up. The impact sent Brant's blade flying from his hand. 

Brant stumbled back in a panic. With only the sword and his meager skills in comparison to Eagle's mastery, victory seemed even more impossible. Eagle hurled his dagger at Brant's chest. With a swift move, he redirected the blade at the ground. Before he could reach down to grab it, another knife flew his way, then another. He focused all his attention on defense as the blades kept coming. 

Finally, the barrage of flying blades ended. Eagle rushed in for another sword stroke. Brant blocked. Shoving his enemy's blade aside, he swung at his opponent's right arm, only for his sword to bounce off the sheathed dagger remaining there. He grunted and retreated again.