Chapter 36

A few hours later, the wilderness surrounding a Kemarian cave served as a bustling military base, even if unconventional in every sense of the word. With folded wings, the raven-ships lay strewn about in the gaps between vegetation, with the Stingray being their only peer. Kemarian Insurgents, Innutukian soldiers, and Unterstat's Underground Agents mingled together as they darted to and fro to execute their various tasks. 

Brant stood on a newfound perch atop the cave and peered into the distance. Their landing and subsequent reunion had happened about half an hour ago, with Keira and Ace reuniting with everybody, and Trackenkaken demanding updates. Ryder also had been introduced to the team. But now, Brant needed a moment alone to contemplate and process everything. 

The fight of his life would begin three mornings from now. The fight of everyone's lives, in fact. And Brant's mind didn't linger only on the massive clash between as many armies as they could muster, facing off against the Alcontean Empire's conglomerate hordes, but he also thought constantly of his own inevitable confrontation with Dove. 

He shuddered at the memory of their last confrontation, where the pinnacle of his past folly screamed at him. The Insurgence certainly would've never stood a chance, but their devastation could have been minimized with his assistance. 

But now he had another chance, and he owed it to everyone not to mess it up this time. No matter what, the continent could not be subjected to Dove's tyranny. And Brant was willing to give his all to prevent it. 

"Sunset's in three hours. What're you staring at?" Ace asked, snatching Brant from his thoughts and causing him to leap in surprise. 

Regaining his composure, Brant narrowed his eyes slightly. "You didn't have to sneak up like that." 

"Excuse me. Silencing soles." 

Brant nodded. "Oh, I see. What's up?" 

"Aaron wanted to see you." 

"Is he alright?" 

Ace rolled his eyes. "Chill out, dude. Yeah, he's okay. Just has some news, I'd guess." 

Without further discussion, Brant followed Ace down to the cave, where Aaron sat on a cot in one of the offshoot chambers, bundled in quilts and blankets. Wendy sat beside him with his laptop on her knees. Trackenkaken and Ryder both stood against the opposite wall with their highest-ranking officers, standing at attention and giving Brant the impression something of utmost importance had either happened already or was coming soon. 

"I cracked it, Brant." Aaron said excitedly when he'd stepped into the chamber. 

Brant tilted his head slightly. "Cracked what?" 

"The APEAS' defenses. Frustrating as that effort was to hack into Unterstat's security networks, it taught me some things. And that made my effort just now to break in so much easier." 

Brant's eyes widened. "So...you're in?" 

Aaron nodded. "Whenever you're ready, we can click a button, and your voice will be heard over radios and loudspeakers throughout the Empire." 

"Wow...I never realized how unprepared I was. This is it." 

"It is." 

"Well, I'll need a moment to gather my thoughts." Brant said, "Would it be possible to assemble everybody outside? I think everybody should hear." 

Aaron glanced to Wendy, who nodded. "I'll arrange it." 

Brant felt his heart increase in speed, out of excitement instead of fear, for once. He exited the cave and began seeking for words.