Chapter 18

"So you mean to tell me the Alconteans know our position and can strike at us at any time." Brant said. His tonality lingered on the border between question and statement. 

He glanced over the others standing around. Before him stood Ace and Track, along with the four Innutukian captains. One of the captains rubbed an ice pack over a swollen bruise on his temple. The torn skin on the knuckles of Track's right hand suggested a connection. 

"Yes." Track finally replied, "Much of the code was too complicated to decrypt, but from what we could piece together, yes. They know where we are." 

Brant rose from his previous seat on a stool and stared out the window with crossed arms. "I really don't know what's the best course of action. Hunkering down or fleeing, they both seem equally foolish." 

Ace coughed. "Flee where?" 

"I don't know, anywhere seems safer than here, where they know us to be." 

"Of course," Track contradicted, "if we stay put, we can really ensconce ourselves and form a good defense." 

Brant spun to face the general. "This isn't a fortress, General, it's a decrepit temple. Made of wood. All it takes is a guy with some brains and a drone shooting napalm, and we're done for." 

"Drones can be shot down, Nayan." 

"Not easily. Not if they send out a whole squad of 'em." 

Track shook his head. "It seems to me you've already made your decision. You intend to run. But as Parker here already asked, where? Doesn't it occur to you that we can as easily be attacked on the road as we can here? And that on the road, we have absolutely no advantage such as we can get by staying here?" 

"Did you hear anything of what I just said?" Brant asked, "All it takes is a flame to take this thing right down." 

"Fires can be extinguished." Ace muttered, lighting a cigarette. 

Brant stared thoughtfully at the flickering flame peeking from Ace's lighter. "I guess you're right." 

"Think also of this." Track said, "We have miles of open land around this place. There's hardly anything they can do against us that we won't see coming beforehand, especially with your enhanced vision. And if we install a heat scanner to a high point, even air attacks can be seen coming from far away." 

Ace blew a plume of smoke up. "Not if they use cold fuel." 

The general eyed Ace with narrowed eyes and a tightened jaw. "Nonetheless, we'll do what we can. We have more options staying behind, is my point. Not to mention your fear is unfounded, Nayan. You have an entire corleggion behind you." 

Brant shrugged. "What's that, 20,000 men? Compared to millions?" 

"24,000, to be accurate." 

"Oh yeah, I'm sure that extra 4,000 will make all the difference." Brant said, wagging his head and rolling his eyes. 

Track growled. "If you'd like, we can depart by tomorrow morning and return home. See how well your measly 200 can stand." 

"Wow." Ace mumbled.

Both Brant and Track gave him a sharp glance before staring each other down. Silence and tension rose together. Brant could swear he saw a battle being waged by raging phantoms in the space between them. 

Finally, he cleared his throat. "You're asking me to gamble—" 

"War is a gamble, Nayan." Track snapped, "If you wanted a safe investment, a better choice would've been buying burial grounds, because then you'd be ensured a steady flow of customers right up until the moment you join them."