Chapter 44

Brant reached Dove first. After a mighty leap, he swung his axe blade down, nearly landing a deep slash in the god's shoulder. But Dove engulfed himself in a whirlwind and spun out of harm's way. Brant stumbled through his unplanned landing, but quickly recovered and spun to face his foe again.

Dove levitated farther up, barely pulling his feet up in time to avoid a sword stroke from Baird. He swept the swordsman off his feet with a gust of wind. Baird landed with a roll and leapt back up a moment later, shifting into a defensive stance shortly after.

Aaron confronted Dove next, pointing metal-encased arms at the god. A barrage of bullets spewed from the mounted guns on his wrists. The hovering god managed to sweep them all away, redirecting them at Brant. With widened eyes, he ducked behind his shield. Soon, he heard the ding of bullets clattering to the iron platform beneath his feet.

Then Brant heard the onslaught stop. With a furrowed brow, he peered over the top of his shield and observed that Aaron had successfully landed two shots just below Dove's ribcage. The god grimaced at his armored foe before darting up and swirling healing winds around himself. Before Brant's eyes, the wounds vanished, and Dove's patronizing grin returned.

Aaron growled and tried to fire his wrist-turrets again, but by the red-hot appearance of the twin barrels, Brant could only guess they had overheated. Dove pointed his olive branch straight at the colossal suit of armor, and from it emanated a swirling funnel of wind, ever-widening until it consumed Aaron.

Brant expected his comrade to stumble back, but he didn't. Somehow, he stood his ground. While Dove's face contorted in confusion, Baird ran into one of the iron pillars, leapt up, and once his feet hit it, he bounced off, spinning in midair until his sparking blade bit into the god's leg. Screaming, Dove tumbled to the platform.

"Who would've thought it'd just take a couple magnets and a guy with a sword to bring you down?" Aaron taunted. With a click, his boots' grip on the ground visibly loosened, and he charged at the fallen god.

Brant and Baird both reached Dove before Aaron, and they rained blows down on him. The god showed surprising aptitude in warding off each blow with his olive branch. Scraping sounds pierced the air whenever Baird's blade met the bark, accompanied by the crackle of sparks. Brant found himself increasingly frustrated that even his hefty axe blade was unable to cut through it.

"Move, guys!" Aaron shouted, and once they obliged, he fired off a homing rocket from a launcher on the underside of his wrist.

Dove widened his eyes at the sight of the missile. He propelled himself into the sky, leaving drops of blood behind from his leg. While he flew away, he waved his hand over his calf, and as before, the wound closed up in seconds. But he was making no distance on the rocket.

Brant watched as Dove spun in the air, hurling his mightiest blasts of wind at the missile, but it still continued. Finally, he swerved into the midst of the pillars. He cut his flight so close to one of the supporting structures that the rocket finally collided with it rather than him.

Brant yanked Baird closer and shielded them both as shrapnel and dust flew from the explosion. For a moment, it clouded the area in blackness. Then a green glow drew closer, and Brant shoved his shield forward.

The clack of wood hitting metal ensued as Brant blocked several air-powered strikes from Dove's artifact. Baird darted out from his side and swung several attacks at their foe, who flew back just enough every time to avoid the saber's blade.

Dove unwittingly flew backward, right into the grasp of Aaron's massive metal hand. After squeezing the god between his fingertips, he smashed him into one of the pillars. Brant ducked under his arm and landed a solid blow on the god's exposed belly. Blood splashed into his face as his opponent's guts became visible.