Ch. 9: Sparkles are Everything!

"So, can I come over today?" Zahir asks Vic who shrugs, "I don't know if I'll be home."

"Where could you possibly go?" I ask as I take a bite of grilled cheese sandwich. My sister rarely ate grilled cheese sandwiches, but the ones she made were heavenly. Gooey cheese, buttered toast, traces of crispy cheese layered on top of sandwich. 

"Is that Lilly Ann's famous grilled cheese?" A voice asks as a body sits down next to me. Vic glares at the boy who smirks, "Hey, guys, may I sit here?"

"No, there's no room." Vic grunts as Zahir pouts, "Yeah, my friend Zoom is sitting there. You squashed him."

Trevor's eyes widen as he lifts himself up and looks down, "I am so sorry."

"Trevor, sit down, it's okay," I roll my eyes and Trevor cautiously sits back down. Vic turns his glare to me, "Are you serious?"

"Vic, shh," I mutter before slipping a note into Trevor's hand while leaning over to see what he got for lunch, "Oh, is that your mom's casserole?"

"Yeah!" Trevor grins before offering me some, "Want some?"

"No, thanks. I'm actually restricted on some foods now. Trying to maintain my physique for TaeKwonDo." I shake my head and Trevor nods, "How's that going?"

"I'm a blue belt now."

"I'm a green belt." Vic says menacingly and Trevor nods, "That's so cool! What made you get into it, anyways? You used to do tennis with me, and then swimming, too."

I bite my lip and shrug, "The Glass twins abduction happened. My parents got scared. My sister isn't the type to fight, so they thought maybe I would do good learning it. Be able to protect myself."

"Your sister had problems, though, right? Like respiratory?"

"Yeah, she had severe asthma as a kid. She's better now, though."

"I'm gonna go to the library." Vic suddenly stands and shoves his food onto Zahir's mostly empty plate, "Trash it."

"Hey, I was gonna eat my peas!" Zahir frowns before shrugging and taking a spoonful anyways. I look at him in disgust as Trevor packs away his lunch, "I'm suddenly not that hungry anymore."

"For real? Why not?" Zahir asks through a mouthful of mashed peas.

"Um, I just remembered I had practice. I'll see you around, Ellie."

"Bye, Trevor." I smile and wave as he beams at me and walks off. Zahir swallows loudly before saying, "Everyone devalues lunch time. I wonder what could be more important than food."

Sighing, I watch the library windows where I see Vic sitting at the tables, flipping through a comic book. What's gotten into him?

I push my things into his car as I move around his instrument before sliding into the back. Zahir sat upfront today, so I had to take the back seat. Vic hadn't spoken to me at all besides one word answers. I had spoken to Serena earlier and she had confirmed she would be coming over with us to my place. I told her I wanted to look at the journal again.

"How did you get one of the cheerleaders to help with your assignment?" Zahir asks me for the fifteenth time. Vic almost growls under his breath as he responds, "She told you already. They're partners."

"Still, cheerleaders never wanna do any work. I got paired with Cecilia for the first time ever and she's making me do everything." Zahir says before smiling dreamily, "But honestly, I don't mind it."

"Of course, you don't." Vic groans before silently driving to my house. I lean up and place my head on the shoulder of his seat, "Vic."

He merely glances at me through the rear view window. I blow into his ear making him squirm and glare at me through the mirror.