Ch. 7: The Corn Have Ears

I had managed to give some kind of warped excuse to Vic about why I couldn't ride home with him after practice. In my uniform, I quickly grab my sister's car keys as my car was in the shop and I rush to leave.

Henrik was over and the two were cooking dinner gleefully. I could see them through the back window as I was backing out, Henrik leading her into a waltz as they waited for the oven to finish the potato gratin.

I remember when my parents first heard her tell them about Henrik. The memory brings me to giggles.

"Amma, abba. I have someone I'd like you to meet." Lilly brings forward a nerdier Henrik and our parents grin, "Honey, we've met him before."

"Yes, but not as my boyfriend." Lilly cringes ahead of time as Vic and I prepared our ears for the screech to come from my mother. Instead, it came from our father, "Oh no, no, no!"

"Abba, I'm old enough now. And.. I love him. He makes me happy. Plus, you can't tell me he can't take care of me." Lilly points out as Henrik nervously walks to my father, "Sir, we have come to ask your permission first. If you say no, I will respect your decision. However, I will certainly take care of your daughter."

My father simply turns and walks away, leaving my mother to smile, "That's wonderful, sweetie. It's about time. I'm ready to plan the wedding!"

Henrik and my sister look at each other before sighing and walking away. It is how it is with my parents. My mom drifting above the waves and my father, heart heavy and protective.

I'm glad that now, my father is at least civil with my future brother in law. Henrik and his brother were already family to us now. I couldn't imagine not having them in my life. As I pull out onto the street, I see Vic pulling into my driveway. He watches in confusion as I duck and drive away. I pray that somehow he forgoes what he just saw and continued on.

However, that was not the case.

As I reached the cornfield, I heard another door shut when I leave my car. Whipping around, I see Vic spreading his arms out as if to question when we hear a gun shot. Ducking down, he rushes to me and grabs me, "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I have to go and find the others. It's a long story, Vic."

He silently follows my fast pace all the way to the middle of the cornfield where I find Trevor and Serena. Vic eyes Trevor who smiles widely at me before getting taken a back by Vic's glare.

"Hi, what are you doing here?" Serena asks Vic who rolls his eyes, "Making sure my best friend is making the right choices."

Vic gives me a look I couldn't quite read, but something about his eyes told me that our talk was coming soon. Trevor looks between us two before sighing, "The journal said that it started in the cornfield, but where is the tree?"

"Tree?"

"He was hung by the roots right?"

Vic looks around before a rustle could be heard from behind us. We all look around in slight fear before crowding together, our backs against one another, making sure to cover every area with our eyes. 

"I swear if a killer pops out of here, I will haunt you." Vic growls lowly into my ear and I hiss back, "But I will probably be a ghost, too."

"Doesn't matter. I will make your ghost life a living hell."

I look up at him, his brown eyes staring deep into mine with worry and anger. I've seen that expression before, so I wasn't too worried, he was only looking out for me. However, I wish he hadn't followed me here. He put himself in danger.