Ch.11: Cooties and Clones

"Will you for once in your life, let me be, woman?!" Zahir growls out as he lazily slaps away his sister's hands. Well, more like cousin sister. Giggling, I gently pull him away from her with a small wink.

"Why does she always mess with my hair? Can't she tell I worked hard on this look?" Zahir gestures to his bird like Mohawk.

"You look like a cuckatoo. Is that what you're into these days?" Vic asks as he walks alongside us. Zahir frowns at him, "Don't even start. I'm still mad at you for attacking me yesterday."

"You're mad at me?! You freaking, annoying-"

"Boys, keep your cool. There's children present." I say through a gritted smile before smoothing out their sleeves and slipping my arms through their hooked elbows.

They look down at me in between them before clearing their throats, "Fine."

"You can continue your fight for manhood later. First, we must complete our mission." I smile at the numerous guests at the block party. Across the way, I see Serena play a game with Trevor. They eye us before nodding discreetly at us. Cecilia sits with her cheerleading friends as they gossip about the rest of the school. Her eyes meet mine and then steer away before anyone notices.

We couldn't get caught this time.

Earlier today
"You think this will work?"

"Why are you even here?"

"Isn't he a liability?"

"Hey! I'm right here!"

Vic rolls his eyes, "I know, that's why I said it."

Zahir grumbles under his breath as he sits back from Ella Marie's glare at them two. Vic mouthes a soft what before smirking at the other boy.

"Guys, there was gonna be a time when Zahir found out. Might as well put him to use." I shrug and Zahir jumps up, "Put me to use? What will you do? Use me as bait?"

"What a great idea," Vic starts with a smile, "Maybe we can finally get rid of you."

"I'll tell the cops about you."

"If you live," Vic replies blankly to which Zahir freaks out more, "Ella Marie!"

"Guys! Be quiet! I have a plan." I growl and they both look at me confused.

Ceci snaps her mirror shut after hearing the plan, "You want us to draw out the Glass family? They haven't come to a neighborhood gathering since the twins' eighth birthday. Don't you remember them having that argument with that crazy lady from the corner house?"

"That's my aunt." Zahir says and Ceci widens her eyes, "I can tell the resemblance."

Zahir rolls his eyes at her before whispering, "They won't come until she tells them to come anyways, and she won't tell them to come because her pride matters too much."

"Isn't she being salty only because they offered her meat?"

"She's a vegetarian on Tuesday's." Zahir explains and Ceci shrugs, "Well, today is Thursday."

Zahir realizes her hint and pinches her cheeks, "You're a genius, baby doll."

"Eww, get your hands off me!"

"Don't touch her without her permission, you dumbbell!" Vic snaps as Zahir bows in apology, "Sorry!"

Present

"Does your aunt know how to apologize?" Vic asks casually as he sips on his soda.

Zahir sighs, "She can be sweet when she wants to."