Chapter 23

I sit, waiting for Caleb to return with more news. My feet shake with nervous energy as my mind draws a blank as to what I would do without her.

If she dies, I'll have no one.

No one.

No one who I love. No one who cares about me. No one who loves me.

I'll be all alone.

I try not to think of the worst possibility, but it's hard. Staring death in the face is a hard thing. But there's something just as painful. Waiting without knowledge. And that is the agony I'm going through.

I close my eyes, but my brain doesn't follow my body in its leap to a safe place in another world. No, my brain fights, holding on to the last morsel of hope I have, latching onto it, and waiting for news.

A jolt traces my body when the door cracks open. I see Caleb, standing at the doorway. "Come with me," he says.

I'm at the edge of a cliff, I can feel it. I feel my feet nudging myself towards it desperate to know what is happening, and I feel my brain unable to brace itself to the mental blow that might come

I muster the courage to jump and follow Caleb out of the room.

"She's conscious now, but just. She's sleeping at the moment. We managed to clear out the poison that was poisoning the blood and penetrating the heart, but now that we've drained over a quart of her blood, we can't continue until we have a donor-"

"I'll do it." I state.

"You sure? It would be a massive amount, you'd be in recovery for a full day. We don't even know if you're a match. And even if you are, we don't know how effective- if at all- this emergency operation could be."

"Anything for Tris," I say.

Caleb stills for a moment, then nods. He leads me, quickly to a room, and takes a sample of my blood and hands it off to a lady who quickly brings it into a side room for it to be examined.

"How likely is it that I can donate?"

"She's B-, so in order for a match, your blood has to be B- or O-. The chances are slim; 9% chance. Jessica should be back in here soon"

That makes me even more anxious, but just as the words are muttered from Caleb's mouth, the Erudite woman, Jessica, rushes out of the room. "O negative!" she yells.

Caleb picks up his briefcase and rushed me into another room, where he assigns a doctor to withdraw the blood while he goes to check on Tris. The doctor pokes and prods my arm until he punctures the correct location. The tube penetrates my skin and immediately I feel a weird sensation on my arm. The man stops after a half bag. "No," I say. "Take more. I can handle it. She needs it."

My blood passes through the tube once again and fills up a full bag, then another. The man then finally addresses me. The room spins before me and the man says, "Just a little more so we can regenerate your blood and give it to her in a bountiful supply."

Before he draws blood again, he says, "You sure are Dauntless."

He fills up a quarter of the next pouch and the dizziness ensues with a vengeance. It's effect has enumerated a thousandfold, and I'm greeted with safe, familiar, darkness.

Please tell me what you think! Comments make my day! Please vote and thanks for reading!