Chapter 14: 1 Month Later

1 Month Later

1 Month Later

It was Erin's first day on full duty after being on desk duty for the past week. She'd been recovering from the shooting before that and was itching to get back out there.

She hadn't told Jay about complications from the shooting. Dr Rhodes had told her in private when Jay wasn't around, and she hadn't found the right timing since getting home from the hospital.

Erin was finishing up organising some old case files when Hank shouted into the bullpen, "Erin! My office now."

Erin started, confused. It was her first day back on full duties and she'd barely had enough time to screw up. What did Hank have to be angry about?

Erin walked into his office, standing patiently as she addressed Hank, "Hank? What's up?"

"Where are you and Halstead at?" Hank asked, looking at Erin expectantly.

"I don't understand what you mean? We haven't been partnered up since I was shot so we haven't really had much to do with each other." Erin said, trying to keep in calm.

She and Jay had been seeing each other but were still keeping it casual and trying not to rush into anything.

"I'm not stupid Erin," Hank said bluntly.

Erin sighed in defeat. "Okay, look I know you don't like in-house romance. I get that. But Jay and I have proved that we can do this job even if we are seeing each other in our personal time."

Hank frowned, standing up from his desk. "You walked away from this unit and Chicago. You can't tell me that your decision didn't conflict with your job or Jay. It took a toll on him that affected his work."

He walked around the desk to stand in front of Erin. "You need to figure out whether you're going to stick around this time. Otherwise, leave your relationship at the door. I can't have you playing with Jay's feelings again."

Erin took a step back from Hank. Her words stuck in her throat at the notion of Hank being so protective over Jay. She swallowed and replied softly, "I'm not going anywhere, I want to stay here. Trust me"

Hank nodded and motioned for her to leave. Erin stormed out, slamming the door behind her. She walked towards the locker room. Everyone looked up in curiosity as they saw Erin walkout from Voight's office. Jay watched her walk away and then got up to follow Erin.

Jay walked into the locker room and found Erin sitting on a bench with her head in her hands. "Erin, what's up? What happened with Voight?" Jay asked her, going to sit beside her.

Erin sighed. "He chewed me out for leaving you. Wanted to be sure I wasn't going to let our relationship get in the way of our work."

Jay raised his eyebrows as Erin looked at him. "Seriously, Erin? I thought he was okay with our relationship."

"He is okay with our relationship, I told him it wouldn't interfere," Erin replied. "He was more concerned that I would leave you again."

"Well, are you planning to leave? Does he have any reason to think that?" Jay said sharply.

"Jay! I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon. I don't want to leave again. Not this unit and definitely not you. I'm completely in love with you" Erin implored Jay to understand her, understand why she wouldn't leave again.

"You've said that before" Jay muttered, avoiding eye contact with Erin.

"Seriously Jay? You're going to bring this up now?"

Jay grabbed Erin's waist as she got up to leave. "Look, I'm sorry I shouldn't have said that. That wasn't fair."

Erin looked up at Jay as he continued, "But Hank does have a point, you were the one that left when I was ready to give us another chance."

Erin leaned into Jay, "I promise you. I'm not going anywhere."

Jay pulled Erin closer as she lay her head on his shoulder. "Good," Jay said as he placed a kiss on his forehead.

"There's something you should know", Erin whispered into Jay's ear.

"What is it?", Jay pulled back to look at Erin as she met his eyes.

"I want to have a future with you Jay, I really do. But I don't know if I can have a family." Erin's eyes filled with tears. "It was from the bullet."

Jay looked at Erin, lost for words. He opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by Ruzek bursting into the locker room. "Guys, we have a lead on the case."