𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛.

✧・゚:*✧・゚:*

Jay brings the bottle to his lips, eyes scanning the relatively unfamiliar bar for the face he is waiting for

Jay brings the bottle to his lips, eyes scanning the relatively unfamiliar bar for the face he is waiting for. He was surprised to get that text from Mia asking if they could meet up, but he jumped at the chance nonetheless. And after a rough week getting absolutely nowhere with the serial case, he could use the drink. The company wouldn't be so bad either. To say he's nervous would be an understatement, though. Yes, they got the first awkward reunion out of the way, but now will be an opportunity to actually talk and catch up.

A cool breeze rushes in as the door opens, and Mia steps in, unzipping her leather jacket as she looks around. Her eyes land on Jay just as he tilts his head, spotting her and immediately smiling. She sucks in a deep breath before moving towards him with a hesitant smile of her own. Setting down his beer, Jay stands as she approaches the high-top table and wipes his sweaty palms on his jeans. With her light makeup and wavy hair, she finally looks like the Mia he used to know.

"Hey," Mia breathes out once they're within a couple feet of each other. Her light green eyes take him in, heart beating faster the longer she looks at him. The way his muscles fill out the dark blue dress shirt, sleeves rolled up his forearms, the fitted black jeans and scuffed up boots. The years have truly been good to him, that's for sure.

Taking a half step towards her, Jay musters up his signature grin, "Hey." Lifting his arms, he moves to close the rest of the distance between them, and when she doesn't step away, Jay takes the opportunity to pull her into a hug. After only a brief second of hesitation, Mia wraps her arms around his broad shoulders, burying her face into the crook of his neck. She breathes in deeply; he still smells exactly the same, a combination of leather and something woodsy. Eyes closed, Mia can't help but lose herself in the familiar feeling, a feeling she hasn't experienced in over ten years. Home.

Reluctantly, Jay pulls back enough to see her face but keeps his hands on her arms, holding her close enough to breathe in the flowery scent of her perfume. The pair stare at each other in silence for what feels like hours but in reality is only a few seconds before Mia clears her throat and takes a step back, arms falling to her sides. Jay follows suit and sits back where he was settled before, gesturing towards the seat across from him, "I ordered you a drink." Watching her sit down, he purses his lips and rubs at the back of his neck, "And I realize now that you probably don't drink the same thing you did when you were twenty."

A grin tugs at her lips, and Mia glances at the gin and tonic in front of her. She wraps her manicured fingers around the glass before lifting it to her mouth, knocking it back in one gulp. Jay's eyes sparkle in amusement as he watches her set the glass back down. She lifts a shoulder in a half-hearted shrug, "Some things never change."