A fool's threat, and a fool's warning

Arthur waited until nightfall before approaching Francis. He slipped up the familiar rungs of the ladder and slinked into his old attic room, finding Francis seated on a stool, tapping a foot. It looked almost like he was expecting him.

"Bonjour, Arthur." Arthur hesitantly gave him a nod as Francis gestured to his bed. "Sit. We need to talk." Arthur went to sit before pausing. He was supposed to be in charge, here! He scowled as he sat down carefully, not knowing if the cot was flimsy, having never slept on this one before.

"Angelterre, you must be aware that--" Arthur growled. "What? that you stole my identity?" Francis sighed heavily, giving Arthur an angelic look of sorrow in the light of the one candle in the room. "Angelterre, I--"

"I said don't call me that." Francis hesitated, then nodded slowly. "Oui, Kirkland." Arthur nodded in satisfaction. "Care to explain why my master told that man that you're me?" Francis sighed.

"From what I can see, the man is a relative of yours whiom Monsieur LaFluer isdebted to. Now, not to offend, but you aren't in the best of conditions--"

"Oi!" Francis put his hands up in a defensive motion. "Non, Angelterre, calm. It appears that Monsieur LaFlear paniced and brought me in to appease your relative. I'm... I'm to go with him, apperantly. Day after the morrow." Arthur could feel that tiny crack in his sanity get a tad bigger.

"What." Francis cringed at the emotionless voice coming from the British boy. "I'm sorry, Kirkland, but honestly, I had no idea of what was going on when I was coming here!" Arthur took a deep breath, shaking his head at the floor, completely flabbergasted at his situation.

"What's to keep me from going and telling that man that I'm Arthur Kirkland?" Francis cringed. "M-Monsieur LaFluer, he said he'd send me back to the orphanage if anything happened. Please, Arthur, I can't handle that." Arthur whipped his glare to Francis, only to find the boy on the verge of tears.

"Angelterre, they hurt the boys there. Please." Arthur tried to hate him. He worked as hard as he could to summon anything but good christian pity for this beautiful boy crying in front of him, but he couldn't. Arthur sighed, putting his face in his hands, thinking for a moment.

"How d they hurt you? surely--" Arthur looked up at the whimper and found Francis, knees drawn up to his chest, shaking. "N-non, Angelterre, I don't want to think about it. Please." Arthur's eyes widened as he realized what had probably happened. He'd heard rumors that it happened in some orphanages, but hadn't really believed it.

"Francis, are you... are you alright?" The older boy sniffled pathetically, shaking his head. "Non. I don't believe I am, actually." Arthur felt a bit torn. He felt like he should comfort the older boy, but a small part of him wanted to relish in this liar's pain.

He sighed, going with what the good Prodestant art of him said was true, and moving over to crouch by the older boy, who was openly sobbing now

"Francis?" A small whimper was all he got back. Arthur searched his early memories for what people did when people needed comforting. He sighed and hesitantly hugged the older boy, who froze for a moment before turning his face into Arthur's shoulder, a hand coming to grip his shirt. Arthur could feel his trembling as he sobbed.

"I-I was just glad to get out of there, Angelterre, and I didn't even care what was going to happen as long as I was safe, but now I've ruined your future for the sake of peace for myself, and-- Mon Dieu, I'm such a fool." Arthur sighed, glancing heavenward and begging for patience

"Yea, Francis. I... It's alright. I'll make it somehow." Francis shook his head, pulling away, somehow still beautiful even while crying. "Non, I-I should just tell the man, and then you'll go with him, and--" Arthur shook his head. "Don't you even think about it. We're both going to turn out just fine from this, understand me? Now, buck up and keep your head straight. We'll let this run it's course and see how it goes, got it?" Francis nodded at Arthur's tone and the quiet power therein.

"Oui, Angelterre. As you wish." Arthur nodded, clapping Francis on the shoulder. "Be of good faith, Francis. We'll get through this." He made sure the boy was alright before exiting, slipping out to his shed, whish was actually almost an improvement from the attic, in that it was bigger and just as warm. It lost merit for smelling like chickens and being drafty, though.

Arthur sat heavily on his cot, looking around before standing back up to kneel by his bed.

He could use all the help he could get.