Introduction: Certain

Roberta Elizabeth Marian Knight was certain of a few things in life.

The first was that her name was ridiculous. Far too long, too pretentious and too middle class for a working class Yorkshire girl. It was a stupid idea of her parents to name her in honour of her father and both of her grandmothers, and it was one she lived to suffer through everyday as teachers called her the name in full. Just Robin was fine to her, and she hated anything other than that.

Another certainty was that she knew she was good at a few select things. She could sketch or paint practically anything, a symptom of growing up without many friends and so instead had to make her own fun. She could play the piano and the violin, though neither of those instruments particularly fit her teenage aesthetic of rock and roll. She could also fearlessly be herself, something which sounds so minor, but as a teenage girl coming of age in a post-war world that seemed to be forever changing, she was glad she at least knew who she was. She was Robin Knight, the girl who would much rather sit silently on her own imagining she was listening to Elvis whilst drawing on whatever was to hand than pretend to be friends with somebody.

The last certainty was that she was one major loss away from being made an orphan, and the recent death of her father meant that everything else she knew about life was wiped straight from underneath her.

Suddenly the certainties didn't matter, not as she had to leave her old life behind and move far away. Her new life in Liverpool seemed to her to be a curse. She didn't want to leave her home city of Sheffield, and she definitely didn't want to do what her mother wanted, which was for them to rebuild their lives entirely. She wanted her old life, her old home, her old hopes and dreams.

Except as a grief-stricken, introverted eighteen year old, Robin didn't really know what she wanted in the new life thrust upon her in Liverpool. That was, until she met another soul, once so certain of so many things until recent events echoed irreparably in his life. That was, until she met John Lennon.

***

Word count: 390

***