Chapter Fourteen: First Date

"I can't believe this is your first ever date," Kay commented with a smirk as the two of them wiped down the restaurant tables. "Pretty girl like you,"

"Pretty girl like me who didn't even have any friends three months ago," Robin reminded her, folding up the dirty tablecloths, tossing them into the wash bag. "It's not really a date though. He's just taking me for a drink at the pub. I'm kinda gutted really though, I was meant to go to a club where my friends' band are playing, but he said he doesn't really like live music so we're giving it a miss,"

Robin was doing her best to downplay that night's activities, but in truth, it was a date. After talking at John's party, Ant had asked her out, and she didn't really want to say no. It would be an adventure, she told herself, yet another excuse to throw herself out of her comfort zone. Besides, Ant had been very charming, and she was sure he'd be a good first date.

Robin hadn't told John or Stuart, the only person she'd confided in being Kay, her work friend. After a few more shifts working together they'd gotten close, and Robin liked her a lot. She was a good confidant, the two of them bonding one afternoon as Kay told her all about how her boyfriend had been ignoring her calls, but as soon as that shift ended he was stood outside the restaurant with a bunch of roses. The next day they were arguing again, and Robin, despite previously thinking the dramas of relationships were all ridiculous, enjoyed being there for her new friend.

Kay was a lot friendlier than the other two waitresses Robin had met on her first day. Ana had been working a few shifts with Robin, but she was painfully shy with her, barely speaking, only really to say hello and goodbye. Ana might have been quiet, but she was still nicer than Susie, who was constantly bossing her around. It felt as though Susie thought herself superior and thought Robin was just a stupid kid, and even if she made her feel uncomfortable she refused to tell her Uncle, the thought of it making her feel like she really was a kid. Besides, Susie bossed Kay around too, and Kay merely responded by rolling her eyes. Kay made working with Susie bearable, but she made working in general fun.

"What sort of wanker doesn't like live music?" Kay rolled her eyes, before distracting herself with Robin's mention of a club. "Where were you meant to be going, Casbah, or Cavern? Or the Morgue, or-"

"Cavern," Robin nodded quickly, cutting Kay off before she could name any more clubs and make Robin feel daft for her lack of knowledge about Liverpool.

"I can't believe you know the Quarrymen," Kay muttered, smirking again. "My little sister Rosie went out with Paul for a few weeks, she dragged me to their gigs since she was too young to go alone. They're pretty good, the bass player's not the best though,"

"Stu's more of an artist than a musician," Robin excused her best friend with a shrug. "John made him join the band since the others refused to play bass,"

"Surprised you're not going on a date with John, you've talked about him far more than you've mentioned your date, what's he called, Andy?" Kay frowned, and Robin felt herself flush red.

"John's me mate, he was the first person I met in Liverpool," she explained, hoping it excused her for mentioning her friend more than her romantic interest. "And he's called Ant,"

"Like the fucking insect?" Kay practically gasped, letting out one of her bell-like laughs. "That's a stupid name,"

"I don't even know if it's short for something," Robin confessed, letting out her own laugh.

"It's short for 'I'm a prick called Anthony who think's I'm too good for the name Tony'," Kay muttered as she rolled her eyes before she looked up out of one of the front windows, her eyes widening. "Hey, speak of the devil, is this your insect man?"