9. Hey, Parker

For a tuesday at 8pm, the town was eerily quiet. I wandered down the street, looking for a shop I could count on to let me buy from them. In the end, I settled on the first gas station I saw.

I pushed open the door and was immediately greeted with the familiar gloom of all gas station convenience stores, complete with bad music playing through crappy speakers and dim fluorescent lights. I perused the aisles, looking for some cheap snacks or drinks to take with me to the register. It would be less suspicious than buying the cigs all on their own, and I had a pretty large stack of unused allowance money from the o'Neils just waiting to be spent.

Eventually I settled on some chips and a can of soda. I was heading over to the cash register when I heard someone call. "Hey, Parker."

I quickly turned and was met with Jake's sneering face. What luck- of all the people to run into, of course I'd bumped into him. I still hadn't forgotten what he did at the party. I instinctively switched to defense. "What do you want?"

"Woah, relax man," he said, still grinning rudely. "Just didn't expect to see you here, that's all."

"I could say the same to you," I replied coldly.

He looked me up and down. "Need me to pay for your shit? I know you probably don't get much from your 'parents', so I don't mind."

I took a step closer to him. "I have plenty of pocket money, thanks."

"Ooh, self sufficient, huh? I like it. Where do you work?"

"How about you mind your own damn business?" I said, jaw clenched.

Jake faked a sudden realization. "I get it now! You've been nicking it from the o'Neil's, haven't you? I'd be careful with that if I were you. They don't like theives."

At that. I lost it. Before I knew it my fist had landed straight in his face. He stumbled and nearly fell over, his hand on his cheek in shock. I watched him process what had just happened, the surprise on his face slowly morphing into anger. By the time he struck back, I was ready. My snacks clattered to the ground as I dodged his hit and retaliated with another of my own.

Within seconds, we were fully fighting back and forth. I managed to avoid most of his throws, but soon, he landed one right in my stomach. I gasped for air and stumbled back into the aisle. Food spilled around me as he took the opportunity to keep hitting me, pinning me against the wall.

"Fuck," I panted, struggling to free myself. I looked up at Jake's smug face and gritted my teeth. In a sudden burst of energy, I managed to push past his grip and flip him into the wall, switching our places instantly. Once I had him trapped my anger began to skyrocket. I didn't hold back. I landed blow after blow anywhere I could think.

"Break it up, NOW!" A sudden bark snapped me out of my violent daze and my fist froze in mid air. I looked over to see two mean-looking cops.

Shit.

Immediately, I stepped back and put my hands in the air. Jake glared at me, but did the same.

"Now what exactly is happening here, boys?" The older of the two asked, eyeing us both.

I didn't move. Me and cops didn't mix. Jake finally spoke for the both of us. "Nothing much sir, just a little fight."

"A fight, huh? Don't you know it's common courtesy to at least step outside? Look at the damn mess you both have made in here."

I looked. He was right. We had knocked all sorts of items off the shelves. I looked over to the cashier, watching timidly from the counter. She had no doubt been the one to call.