Chapter 31

They both were in the nude as they laid in bed. Venus laid on her stomach, her arms bent above her head. Thomas removed the sheets from over her, causing her to stir from rush of cold air. He looked at her leg, which had a long scar across it. Crawling forward, Thomas moved his body so that his head was closer to the bottom of the bed.

Venus was annoyed by his antics, wondering what caused him to move so much. Her eyes opened wide as she felt a kiss on her scar. Thomas spoke against the damaged skin. "What became of you after you were sold?"

"A number of things. Things I'd rather not speak about." Venus answered vaguely.

"I looked what felt like all over the world for you. Where were you?" Thomas asked in a weak voice. He felt as though he was just twenty years of age once again, vulnerable in wondering where his love went.

"I went from plantation to plantation. Until I landed here." Venus told Thomas. Thomas returned to the top of the bed where his face was directly in front of Venus'. She turned her body over so her back was toward him.

"You are not free?" Thomas asked Venus.

"This lifestyle was not my choice. I never would've dreamt of becoming a harlot." Venus said in an almost expressionless voice. "I was sold to the owner off his inn. And he's been putting me to work ever since."

Thomas wrapped his arm around Venus, bringing her closer. His chin rested on her neck. "I'll buy your freedom. After today, no longer will you be a slave."

"At this point in my life, freedom will do me no happiness. In my mind, I'll forever be a slave." Venus sighed. "So many men come and go. They all give false promises of freedom. I've decided no longer will I listen to such foolish things."

"Then I take it you wish to stay here?" Thomas asked. Venus stood up from the bed, tired of being so vulnerable. She began to put on her garments.

"I believe your time is up. If my owner finds that I have been lallygagging with you, he'll be furious." Venus told Thomas. "I think it's best that you leave."

"Do you mean that?" Thomas asked in disbelief. "So many years have you been separated from me, and now you bid my leave?"

"We've had a wondrous night, but I wish you not to see me like this any longer." Venus told Thomas. Her fingers delicately strung her corset, they were tired from years of work. Once upon a time, she could've been a harpist, her hands were so delicate. And now they've been caked by time and servitude.

Thomas stood up and began to get dressed, his heartbroken just has it was so many years ago. When his clothes were on, he stood in front of the door. Turning around, he asked her one final question. "Suppose I wish to see you again? How will I find you."

"That is a wish that won't serve you. It's best you forget about it." Venus spoke. With Thomas he left his first love behind. Venus knee she had to charge Thomas for such a night, but did not wish to. She allowed him to go off without paying, for part of her heart still belonged to him.