Chapter 82

Charity could remember the all encompassing feeling she'd get when she read in the Phillips library. She would read about different places in the world, all unique with different cultures, wonders and oddities. One particular place that always caught her attention was Paris. Not only did she love the beautiful buildings and beautiful art, but she also was enamored with the people.

She'd read that Parisians were far more accepting of the negro race. Colored women and men from around the world found sanctuary in race. Of course the same prejudices that plagued other parts of Europe as well as America still were present, but the freedom of colored brethren was far greater under the Parisian moon.

And now here Charity was, walking freely amongst the Parisian streets. Although it was far from what she'd imagined. Yes, she was free and the people were far more accepting of her than those of American descent. However, Paris itself was filled with grime. Filth from garbage mingled with disposed stool of its inhabitants along the streets. The smell was almost unbearable. Charity attempted to bring her memory back to the sweet smell of the flowers that grew amongst the Phillips estate.

As she covered her nose with a handkerchief that Phillips himself gifted her, she thought back to the moments she'd spent with him. How they'd lay in the grass and look to the clouds together, before he found himself busy with his business with the plantation. How he'd whisper sweet nothings to her that caused her skin to tingle with desire.

Charity attempted to navigate the market, buying two apples in which she'd bring home for herself and Cora. Eventually she made it back to the grungy lodge where she entered their room. Cora sat upon the bed, only in her bloomers and her tight corset. Her pink lips were dyed as she sucked on something in her mouth.

"Have you already eaten? I've bought us apples to eat." Charity told Cora.

"Just an apple for each of us?" Cora asked as she sat up in her bed holding her stomach that was tightly laced up. One of the ribbons that held up her stocking came undone, causing it to fall down her leg. "I'm utterly exhausted. I can't stand another moment being hungry."

"Well you constantly get coin, and somehow you don't contribute to our needs." Charity reminded Cora as she set the apples down on a small table they both shared.

"I have to upkeep my looks. In order to continue my work I've got to have rouge and clothing to entice my market." Cora told Charity. "Don't worry, I'm still just as hungry as you. One of my men didn't have a franc to give me, so he instead gave me sweets."

"We don't need sweets. We need money." Charity finally put her foot down. She'd been passive ever since she arrived in France. Her hunger gave her such a fire that her discontent could no longer be ignored.

"You can help. You, yourself have a content as well." Cora told Charity sternly while Charity calmly got a knife and headed for her apple.

"I've told you more than once that I will not participate in such an occupation." Charity began to cut up. "Instead I work all day until my back pains cleaning after others and watching their kids."

"Men are much more generous." Cora told Charity. "You should know, you've become well acquainted with Monsieur Elie Dupont."

Such a comment caused Charity to slightly knick her finger. She brought her slender finger between her lips.

"So it's true. When I wasn't here you gave him company." Cora asked.

"No such thing occurred. He came in expecting you and instead I was here. I simply told him you were not present and that's all that took place." Charity quickly told Cora, but didn't dare look back at her.

"That's all that took place." Cora repeated Charity's words, slowly creeping up toward her. "Why is it that when I saw Monsieur Elie at the baths today he mentioned of you?"

"I just told you, he made his acquaintance with me and abruptly left." Charity slapped the dingy knife down and turned to Cora.

"Why was he taken with you?" Cora crossed her arms over her corset.

"You act as though that's something a woman can control!" Charity shouted. Cora's angry demeanor melted and she displayed a smile on her face. Then she laughed, walking toward Charity and reaching out her arms.

"Oh, Charity. I'm not at all upset. In fact, I think this may be beneficial for the both of us. I think it's wonderful he's found such interest in you." Cora told Charity. Then, she lifted a finger and slightly touched Charity's soft, fluffy hair. "In fact, he even mentioned that he wishes to see you as soon as possible. And that he will send a coach out to see you tonight."

"Tonight?" Charity asked. "I agreed to no such thing."

"I will be with you. It shall be the two of us together." Cora told Charity. "Remember? Un pour tous, tous pour un."

"What would I possibly wear?" Charity looked to the trunk that held her belongings.

"I know you should be the last person wondering about such a thing. Your Virginian lover was so kind to gift you such garments." Cora told Charity. "Except, when you go tonight, don't bother wearing a shift."

"If I don't wear a shift, how will I possibly cover my bosoms under my waistcoat?" Charity looked down at herself.

"You are in Paris, such displays of modesty are not needed. No one will think less of you for revealing yourself some more. You are a beautiful woman, and therefore you should show that." Cora told Charity. "So get dressed, I'm sure the coach will arrived any moment. And do that thing to you hair that draws so much attention. You can borrow my rouge if you like—"

"Rouge will be absolutely unnecessary. I've told you, I'm like you." Charity reminded her friend.

"Of course." Cora smiled. "Well, hurry along. We've got to get dressed."