02 | CELL. Quicker Than You Know It

M

M

y cheap sandals kicked up dust as I trekked home. I had boarded a bus...but that was kind of a long story. Long story cut short, you can never trust the transportation system around these parts.

At least I got the money. I allowed the hard cash in the polythene bag between my arms give me some measure of satisfaction.

I hugged the bag tighter around my chest with my two hands. I didn't care if people could take one look at me and guess what was in the bag. I just entered one of the most rural parts of Lagos, consisting more future armed robbers than future stars. I would die if I lost this money now.

My handbag was slung over one shoulder. Coupled with the bag in my hands, the weight messed with my balance. Not being the type you could describe as 'slim' or 'petite', but I still teetered with every step home.

I could deal. Home was already in sight at the end of the street which was littered with more potholes than a cactus had spikes.

If anyone could call it a home, the face-to-face bungalow sat oddly among the similar houses in a little corner on the streets of Amukoko. A term which was common for public houses. Even in the midst if its peers, the house looked like a condemned block of squares standing out oddly. The paint job was almost nonexistent by now. Having being beaten and beaten down by erratic weather over the test of time.

The rooms in it weren't any different. Water would never run --except through the ceilings, day in day out, and rats and cockroaches were major shareholders in living arrangements. I should say that merely living in it, was a test in perseverance.

That house though, was the only one anywhere willing to house Nessie and I. Two orphans who barely got by by the skin off their backs. The house deserved some respect at least. It was a bit like Nessie and I --dealing with neglect and barely getting by in a community that found more reasons to shun you and fuck you up by the day.

Down here, we were at the very back(est) backwaters. Cops were only one badge above the pests here. So there goes any hope for the government intervention.