08 | Love and Duty

a/nhey, guys

a/n
hey, guys. if you will notice, i stopped using 'Kiki' (Koko's best friend) and instead opted for her full name, Nkiruka. i liked how cute it kind of sounded but I guess 'Kiki' and 'Koko' would confuse you sometimes. don't wanna do it already (T_T) lol.

The impending expectation had been firmly glued to the back of my mind, but I was still very surprised that I found myself spending the better part of the day in Nessie's school head master's waiting room

The room wasn't actually as posh as it sounded; just an empty space outside the dreaded office that had about three chairs and a standing fan that was currently either off, or just not working.

I fanned my recently manicured hands in front of my face as I tapped my foot impatiently on the tiled floor, and seriously considered pulling Nessie from this quack of a school.

What happened, you might want to know. Well, what doesn't.

In just one school term, I have gotten more than six calls from the school's administration. Nessie sits in a chair by the wall with her school bag on her lap. She is reading a book and that just made me angrier. Nessie should been in class with her mates and not in her headmistress's waiting room.

The call I'd received said Nessie had another bout.

I used to freak every day that my little sister had to go to school. I'd check and double check her pills, do about one thing away from a full body scan before I could persuade myself to let the poor girl off to school for the day.

It had gotten better. Both her bouts and my anxieties, but it was still very much there.

And the fucking school administration acted like the world was about to end every fucking time, like they weren't informed in advance that Nessie was epileptic.

The grandfather clock on the shelf ticked away and my thoughts traveled. I remembered the first time I got a call from Nessie's very first school after....well, after Dad died and we went for broke.