07 | The Thing With Sugar

Ayuba

Ayuba

The sound of my keys hitting the plate reverberated across the space that was my penthouse suite. As usual, it was just me, except when Lade dropped by.

Which was too often these days.

I pulled at my tie until it came loose. Removing my jacket, I didn't bother hanging it, but instead draped it over the loveseat in the living room.

My eyes roved over the corners of my living space, trying to ignore the emptiness and desolateness that hung around somewhere in the scented, sterile air that only money could give. I allowed myself to notice the fact that my house was considerably cleaner than I had left it.

I owned the building, too, and I had a housekeeper and a cook who came in several times a week to keep this place in top shape.

Lade had been trying desperately to break me out of my single life-funk but I couldn't help just sinking more into it by the day.

It's like a big part of me was already beginning to accept that this was simply how it would always be.

I needed to be more concerned about Lade now, anyways.

Trading my shoes for the more comfy indoor ones, I fought a chuckle at the thought of Lade's reaction when I butted into his dating life. See how he likes it now...

I pulled open the door of my fridge in the kitchen area.

All foodstuff and instant foods were well stocked and arranged where they were supposed to be. I dragged out a big bucket of Lucky Chimes ice cream and put it in the kitchen sink to melt a little while I changed.

With every blind date, my son set me up, he always came running for a briefing session.

I decided to shower while waiting. The television in the main lounge area where I spent most of my time, was on. The Arrow series was what's playing and I paid no heed to it as I passed. Nice film, but not my favorite.

I don't know...but we both agreed that leaving the television on helped reduce the empty feel that hung around the apartment like cobwebs.

After a quick shower, I draped a towel around my waist and proceeded to my little office. The answering machine was blinking so I pressed the button to listen to messages, while I picked some papers from the desk and perused them.