Keep Going

Part Fifteen

As dawn breaks the following day, Ash returns his Pokemon to their Pokeballs, except Charizard, and wishes the wild Pokemon luck finding their homes. If Ash had the time, he would wander all of Kalos to return the Pokemon to their homes, but he knows his destiny is calling. He packs up the gear they had spread out over the last few nights staying there and stuffs it into his backpack. For how much fits, he wonders if it's bigger on the inside than the outside.

Rui stands at the entrance to the cave looking out over the trees. She pulls a compass out of her jacket pocket and fiddles with it.

"Are you ready? Ash asks as he pulls his backpack over his shoulders and stops next to her.

"Yes, of course." Ash motions for her to climb onto Charizard and she follows his signals. They decided to ride down the mountain on Charizard to save time rather than climb down.

--

Ash and Rui walk swiftly side by side. Both checking their surroundings as they move.

"If we continue to walk northwest, we should eventually hit the Orre Region and from there I will know my way." Rui assures him to which he just nods back at her.

"You've been facing Team Snaggem for a while now, right?" Ash inquires slowly. "What do you think it's going to take to bring the entire Team Rocket down?"

Rui looks thoughtful as the two pace on. "Well, we will need to know where their headquarters are; the main one where the boss spends his time."

"Her" He states casually.

"The new Team Rocket Boss is a woman?" Rui seems surprised at the news.

"She is Giovanni's daughter, Geneva." He informs her. "She was the one who decided to kidnap me."

Rui doesn't ask anymore. She can tell he doesn't want to share further. They continue to walk.

They are almost too lost in their thoughts to notice; they hear a branch snap behind them.

"Who's there?" Ash shouts behind him. "Show yourselves!"

They hear maniacal laughter from the direction of the sound. Then it becomes clear to Ash.

"Prepare for trouble." A red headed woman comes into view standing next to a blue haired man.

"Make it double." The man follows along.

"MEOWTH, I thoughts we was done with dat!" The sassy cat Pokemon jumps up and scratches the two in the face.

"Meowth, we were just having a little bit of fun!" The blue haired man complains, rubbing his face.

"HOW DARE YOU RUIN MY BEAUTIFUL FACE, MEOWTH!" The redhead starts chasing the cat around as he yells.

"Jessie! Meowth! Stop it!" The blue haired man tries to stop them from fighting.

"Oh brother." Ash smacks his own face and rubs his brow. "At least some things never change."

"Jaaaaaaaaames haaaalp!" Meowth yells still trying to dodge Jessie's attempts to capture him.

"Do you know these guys?" Rui asks looking uncomfortable with the scene unfolding.

"Unfortunately." Ash chuckles just waiting for the trio to settle down. "Don't worry. They're harmless."

Suddenly, Ash feels one of his Pokeballs wiggling so he holds it up curiously; Charizard releases himself from the ball and inserts himself between Jessie and Meowth. At the sight of the giant lizard, Jessie abandons her feud and composes herself; brushing her shorts off.