Into the Forest

When Rose was about to head to her common room after hours of studying, a bunch of boys burst into the library, laughing. She would have asked Albus to come, but he hadn't showed up at dinner tonight, which had worried Rose a little. She finished the last bit of a paper she was writing for Herbology, and started packing up her books, when the boys' conversation sparked her interest.

"Did you see the look on the kid's face when I hit him with that spell before we all ran away?" one of the boys said, laughing.

"His expression was priceless!" replied one of his friends. "What's the kid's name, anyway? Albus or something?" The first boy who had spoken nodded. At the mention of Albus, Rose froze and nearly dropped her books, which would have given away that she was there. Luckily, she caught herself, but she didn't know what to think or do. Was it possible these older boys had done something awful to Albus as they had done to Scorpius? Slowly, Rose pressed her back up against the shelf she had been leaning against, and continued to listen.

"I wonder if the kid will even make it out of the forest," one of the boys commented. Rose gasped, knowing that the boy must mean the forbidden forest. She couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Yeah," a boy replied. "I've hardly spent any time in that forest, and it's always been in complete daylight. Honestly, I'm starting to feel a little bad for the kid."

"You're kidding?" interjected a boy with dark brown hair and hazel eyes that she recognized as Connell Parkinson, shrugging his friend off with disbelief. "Since when were you so sympathetic, Harris?" But Rose was prevented from hearing the rest of their conversation, because the boys had decided to head to their common room incase anyone might be listening. It was too late for that, Rose thought to herself.

When the group of 5th years exited the library, Rose immediately decided that she would find Albus's Gryffindor friend, Liam Finnigan. She thought that perhaps he might know some bit of information that could be useful in finding Albus, or that he would be willing to help her search for him. She sped out of the library as the librarian closed it up, and set off to find him. She decided to head towards the Gryffindor common room, hoping that she would pass a Gryffindor who could tell her where Liam was. However, she didn't need to go far, because she passed Liam himself walking with another boy down the corridor in Rose's direction.

"Liam!" she called, and ran up to the two boys. "Erm, do you mind if I have a word?" she asked awkwardly.

"Sure," he replied, looking startled. He told his friend he'd be right back, and followed Rose further down the corridor. "Who are you?" he asked, confused.

"I'm a friend of Albus's," she answered, keeping her response short. "When's the last time you've seen him?" Rose asked, trying to figure out when he was taken into the forest.

"Um, he was in class all day, but I never saw him up in our common room after class, and he never showed up for dinner. I've been wondering where he is as well, but I'm sure he's fine," Liam added.

"Well, he's not, actually. I know where he is, and he's in danger. Could you help me search for him?"

"Wait, slow down," Liam said looking very taken aback. "I thought you knew where he was?"

"I do, but it's... a vast space," answered Rose. "And I could really use your help."

"Where is he then? And how do you even know this?"

Rose took a deep breath, and said "Albus is in the Forbidden Forest. I overheard a conversation while I was in the library just now." Liam's eyes widened.

"No way," he gasped. "But, why?"

"A group of older Slytherins took him there and left him in the forest. That's all I know. Please, come with me."