Midnight Meet-Up

Albus's heart was pounding in his chest. James had just filled him in on what he'd overheard. He was so worried for his best friend, the poor kid had already been through so much, he didn't deserve any of this... "James, I'll be back later," he told his brother, who was sitting beside him in the common room. "I've got to find Scorpius." He expected the older boy to tell him off for leaving this late at night, but he merely nodded. He seemed to understand Albus's need to find his friend.

"Just don't get caught, bro. You might want to take the cloak," he said, winking.

"Oh, right..." It seemed like his brother was no longer mad at him for having been given the cloak, which made him feel loads better. He was struck with a sudden appreciation for his James. After all, without him, they wouldn't know anything about the Slytherins' plan. "Thanks, James. I mean it," he said, smiling at his brother. James simply returned the smile, and at that, Albus headed through the portrait hole and into the dark castle to search for Scorpius. He seriously doubted he'd be in his common room, even though it was getting late, and he couldn't blame him. Not knowing where to search first, Albus headed in a random direction. He didn't have to look far, however, because he passed the clock tower balcony and saw the lean figure of his friend standing and looking out at the Hogwarts campus. Relieved, he rushed towards him, calling out, "Scorpius!"

"Albus..." his friend turned to face him and he could tell that the pale boy had been crying. His eyes were red and he looked beside himself with worry. Without another word, Albus pulled Scorpius into a hug.

"I know. I know, and it's going to be alright. James told our father, and I bet he'll be able to tell us what the Room of Requirement is..." Albus was cut off when Scorpius pulled away from him and met his eyes.

"I'm scared, Albus. I don't want to die. I just want to see my dad..." his voice broke. Albus didn't know what to say. He silently wondered what the letters had said, but his question was answered at that moment because Scorpius launched into story. "He's worried about me, he's confused as to why I haven't been writing, and he's hurt, too. He also warned me to stay here at Hogwarts over winter break, if only I'd seen his letter..." he cursed the Slytherins under his breath.

"Your father will get your letter soon, if he hasn't already, and will understand that nothing was your fault."

"But what if he still blames me..."

"He won't." Scorpius smiled shyly at his Gryffindor friend.

"Okay. I'll just try to relax..."

Albus nodded, then thought of something. "Here, take this," he said, passing the cloak of invisibility to his friend.

"W-what? That's your cloak, I couldn't take it..."

"Don't even try and argue with me, Scorp. It's bad enough to that you have to return to the Slytherin common room and see those boys every day, the cloak could come in really useful. Just think..."

"Okay, okay, I'll take it," he said, grinning. "Thanks, mate. You're too nice to me, you know." Albus returned the grin.

"Don't thank me, thank my dad. It was his cloak before it was mine."

"Wow, your dad seems really cool. I'd love to meet him someday. You know, assuming he'd be okay with meeting me..."

Albus just chuckled softly. "When will you learn, Scorpius, of course he'll want to meet you! I'd also love to meet your dad, I'm sure he's just as cool."

"Yeah," Scorpius whispered thoughtfully. "Yeah, he is... Anyway, I'd better get some sleep. I feel a lot better about going back now that I've got this," he said, holding up the cloak.

"Me too. Night, Scorp."

"See you." The boys departed, each feeling significantly better than they had before they met up.