Chapter 4: The Royal Case (Part 1)

"Well shit."

Hisaki blinked numerous times and looked at her class schedule again and again. The crease between her brows deepened as she gave the paper a stare down. The paper might as well have been burning under her glare.

For the past few days, there was one big question that lingered in Hisaki's mind. What about school? She lowkey wanted to ditch the royal case. Yes, she decided that 'The Royal Case' was the most suitable name for it. She wanted to make school as an excuse but her class activity log had made a huge betrayal. For once in her life, she regretted passing her requirements early. She wanted to crumple up the paper for all she cared and throw it in the bin, never to be seen again. What was with papers these days? Why are they pissing her off?

A sudden majestic sounding instrumental boomed across her room, startling her off of her internal ranting. Her body leaned against her chair as she attempted to take a peek at the caller. The ringtone was set to two different people, one was her grandmother and another was... Her eyes quickly darted at the name.

Queen Minerva.

She felt the bile in her stomach slowly rise up as she turned her head to the desk calendar. The dates circled in a red marker stood out and resonated through the back of her head. "OH BULLOCKS!"

Accompanied by a tremendous amount of whisper-cursing and a few fumbling around yada-yada, she reached out for her phone placed on the bed. The ringtone began to hunt her as she composed herself and cleared her throat before pressing the call button.

"Took you long enough, Rene," a calm voice greeted her.

"To what I owe the pleasure of you calling me," Hisaki teased in a posh voice. "Grass Court Queen?"

"Well, it seems as though you have forgotten to tell me your response to my invitation, London's-Greatest-Detective?"

Hisaki pursed her lips. The temperature around her hands and feet suddenly dropped, oddly enough she was sweating from the summer heat. Calming her roaring heart, she gulped and spoke, "About that..."

"Oh dear, sounds like someone sought our favorite detective's help," Minerva said with a chuckle. "Well? Are you going with that friend of yours?"

Hisaki wished she was, but it has been so long since they last saw each other face-to-face. She wouldn't know how to react even if they could investigate together. Besides, she had a feeling that she was purposefully being avoided...

"Sadly, no."

"That's too bad. Would I be able to hear any new stories from you then?"

Hisaki leaned back, with her free hand supporting her weight. She could tell her a few cases she had not told her, but it would probably be best to leave out this case. "You just might." After a few minutes of idle chatter, the two bid their goodbyes and went back to their personal agendas.

Hisaki stood up from her seat and stretched. Her things were already packed neatly in a small bag in the corner of her room, prepared to be taken for the flight for New York on Thursday night. There were two things left that needed tending: her meeting with the investigation team and her dress for the ball. Well, if she were to attend a ball in New York doing an investigation, better do it in style.

 Well, if she were to attend a ball in New York doing an investigation, better do it in style