18. I'm Stupid

Hellooo. Another update.

"I like your face, Tony!" He drunkenly declared.

Tony sat frozen, his gaze locked in Steve's. He didn't know what to say. He saw Steve slowly resting his head on the side of the bed while still sitting on floor. His hands slumped down, setting Tony's face free. The alcohol induced sleep finally took over.

Tony too let his body fall back. He sat there quietly, looking at Steve, a stranger that he met just a few days ago. But it was Tony's own doing. He got Steve so drunk. Tony rubbed his forehead in frustration before finally getting up and leaving the room. The alcohol was worn off by that kiss.

Back in his room, He paced back and forth. He thought his head would explode. He placed himself on the edge of his bed and now started thinking about John and panic struck him.

What would John do if he got to know? He would first kill Steve and then me. Tony thought.

He dropped his head into his hands. It shouldn't have happened. It shouldn't have. Why did he have Steve drunk? And hundreds of questions like these got him so tired that he didn't know when he fell asleep.

*****

He woke up with a jolt, and instantly regretted. His head spun and his butt hurt.

He was confused to find himself on the floor. He looked around. It took him a while to recognise the unknown surroundings.

He held his head that pounded. Then one by one, last night came crashing down at him.

His eyes bloated on recalling the kiss.

"Shit!" He cursed as he hid his face in his hands. He wasn't scared to lose his job this time but because of the stupidity he had done.

He got up and instantly held his head, it hurt but his butt hurt more. His one hand was on his head and other on his butt. But his pain wasn't his concern, facing Tony was.

"Stupid!" He cursed under his breath while he staggered to the bathroom holding his butt. For once he was tired of his own stupidity.

Tony, on the other hand, couldn't sleep the entire night. He stood in the kitchen holding a mug of coffee.

His coffee was no more hot but he didn't know, neither did he care. His thoughts were gnawing at his heart and his entire self. John never left his mind since last night after the kiss.

Steve walked out of his room, no expecting to see Tony right there. His sudden presence pulled Tony out of his thoughts. Both men stared at each other, an awkward silence spread across the room.

*****

Tears left his eyes as he hugged himself tightly, his knees closer to his chest.

A memory of Tony kissing Pepper and all those texts made John cry harder.

"Why, Tony?" He asked himself while still in tears. After a while when he thought he was done, he wiped all the tears and got up. The doctor never cried, this was the first time he cried, for Tony or because of him.

He looked in the mirror.

"You shouldn't have, Tony." He quietly spoke to his reflection. His eyes were red and puffy, a few droplets still hung on his lashes.

*****

Steve composed himself. He didn't know what to do. He was supposed to stay with him till Sunday and it was just Friday. How he was going to be around Tony after his stupid stint, he thought.

"...Coffee?" Tony's voice killed the silence.

Steve mentally sighed. He nodded and sat on the kitchen stool. He was nervous, embarrassed for last night and it showed in his demeanor.

Tony quietly placed a mug of coffee in front of Steve and refilled his own.

A thick silence still spread the airs around them.

"Listen..."

"Tony, I'm..."

They both started at the same time, and then looked at each other. After a pause, Tony started and Steve remained silent, not wanting to create anymore fuss.

"Whatever happened last night, we need to get past it." Tony spoke with hand gestures.

"Yes. I agree but..." But he was again cut-off when Tony again started.

"I'm not done speaking. I want you to get over whatever happened... Last night never happened."

"Never happened." Steve repeated, raising his palms in surrender.

"You cannot talk about it to anyone. Anyone!" He continued.

"No one. I swear. I wouldn't speak a word about it to anyone." Steve spoke. Mentally thanking god for lightening the situation.

"You will stay in that part of the house and I will stay in mine. We go out, you can join, other than that, we don't cross each other's path. You getting me?" Tony laid out his plan of contention.

Steve nodded, agreeing to the Shorter man without any argument.

Both nodded. But again everything went silent.

"Don't get me drunk again, please?!" Steve spoke, not looking up. He didn't know if he was in the position to make demands or even requests.

"Deal. No drinks for you."

Steve looked up finally, gave a small smile that was reciprocated by an equally small smile.

Things had turned awkward for the bodyguard and the Billionaire. Steve silently drove him to his office. He remained quiet, just followed him around at work and did the job he was hired to do. He was vigilant. He kept his focus on the surroundings and on Tony.

He made a mistake and he wasn't ready to make another one, but there were times when his eyes would get stuck on Tony's face. From a distance, the bodyguard would look at Tony, the way he talked to people, his smile and everything that he did.

Though, Steve did not let his emotions surface his face.

Then his phone rang.

"You did what?" Sam snapped from the other side.

"I was drunk!" Steve spoke in low voice.

"You better get the hell out of there, that doctor, his boyfriend, would get you sacked so bad, you won't ever get a job anywhere." Sam rambled on, but he had lost Steve's attention.

"I'll call you back."

"Don't you dare hang up on me!" Sam could only yell after.

Steve had hung up as he saw Tony coming out. He looked at his watch.

With quick steps he followed Tony.

"We are leaving already?" He asked.

"One of the perks of owning the workplace." Tony winked.

But before he could get into the car, his phone vibrated in his pocket.

He took it out, but the moment he looked at the screen. His heart rate went up.

Hello, people. Hope you enjoyed it.