Chapter 12: Nightmare

Natalie remained in her place. Her face was frozen in fear. All the color drained out of her skin leaving a white shell. Damion looked into her bloodshot eyes.

"I-I.....I'm so sorry!" Natalie stuttered. Tears rolled down her cheeks and she looked down. "I'm sorry Damion." she continued to apologize.

"Why did you leave me there? Was I not good enough for you?" Damion asked his balling mother. She backed into the counter and let all her weight rest on the side of it.

"...I....I.....I tried to make him stop.....but he wouldn't let me...." Natalie said through sobs. Tears were rolling out of her like a waterfall.

"Stop who? Why did you do all of this?" Damion asked again and Natalie looked up at Damion.

"I....I didn't. You're dad did....he.....he was planning on getting rid of both of you...but I said for him not to take you two......but he took the first one he caught sight of.......which was you Damion.......and Elijah......your dad.......he......he died the night we were going to bring Damion back home........but it was too late.....and I tried to get you back Damion I did......but your grandparents wouldn't let me.....even.....even though I've....I've got custody." Natalie explained in sobs. Damion looked at Elijah who's face had turned pale. His heart sank to the floor and his stomach opened a pit to swallow every last good emotion he had whole.

"Why would dad not want us? Why would he want to get rid of Damion and me?........he got rid of Damion first.....and that could've been me......what the fuck is wrong with him?" Elijah thought to himself.

"....But you're back now.....I can finally have you!" Natalie said walking over to Damion and gave him an embrace. Damion slowly wrapped his arms around her and they remained that way for a minute or so.

"You're finally mine." she said shakily then tearing herself away from Damion.

"What are we gonna do about grandma and grandpa?" Elijah asked looking at his mom who was still slightly tearing.

"Well.......they don't have custody of Damion so.......if I take him back they can't do anything." Natalie replied looking at her eldest son. She wiped the tears off her face and moved her hand through her hair.

"This is.....draining." Damion said putting his hand on the back of his neck.

"Yeah it is. Why don't you two go to bed." Natalie said nodding to the stairs.

"Um....what about sleeping arrangements mom?" Elijah asked raising an eyebrow.

"Oh yeah that. I had stored a twin bed in the extra room in case this ever happened." Natalie said walking towards a small door in the hallway. Damion and Elijah followed.

With the help of Elijah and Damion, the bed was brought up to the extra bedroom, however Damion wanted to sleep in the same room as Elijah so they made a pallet on the ground with blankets for Damion to sleep on. He borrowed some of Elijah's pajamas and the two decided to play some PlayStation before they went to bed.