Firecracker

Night comes around quicker than I expected and dont have time to find shelter so I just keep to the road and carry on walking.

Suddenly something lurches at me from the trees. I dodge out the way but drop my knife in the process. Pulling my bow from my shoulders I back away from it, trying to buy myself time to shoot it. But as I back away I trip over my own feet and land flat on my back.

The rotter has gotten up and is heading toward me, its arms outstretched ready to grab me.

I reech my hand up to my arrows and pull one out. I notch and fire just in time and it falls onto my legs.

Grunting I pull the arrow from its skull and rumage around to find my knife.

While I'm crawling around the road like a madman the rumble of a bike engine is getting louder and loader.

"Shit!" I whisper to myself and run into the trees.

The bike pulls up by the rotter I just killed and two cars pull up behind it.

A tall slender man swings his leg over the bike and crouches over the rotter, a baseball bat hanging from his right hand.

Another man gets out the car behind him and walks to his side.

"What is it boss?"

The man with the bat gets to his feet and goes to say something but something else catches his eye on the floor. He bends over to get it and stands with my knife in his hands.

"It appears we just missed out on some action." He smiles.

The smaller man with dark hair and mustache looks down at the body unimpressed.

"It looks like just one person. You really want to waste our time on one guy?"

This seems to make the first guy angry and he leans in closer to the others face.

"People, are a resource." Then he turns to the others who have now gotten out the cars, "find him and bring him to me."

Before I can turn and run someone spots me and points directly at me.

"THERE! NEGAN!"

Everyones heads turn to me as I turn to run into the woods but somone is already on my heals. I make it about 3 bounds before they tackle me to the floor.

I wrestle the best I can but she's too strong. Grunting I pull my foot up and boot her right in the stomach, launching her into a tree. I scramble to my feet but I'm surrounded. Several guns pointed at me.

"Well well. It's a girl." The tall slender man steps in the circle they have created around me.

Pulling my bow up to aim at his head I shout, "back the fuck up."

He grins and steps closer. "Baby if you havn't noticed there are about five or six guns pointing straight at your head right now. I dont think you're in any place to make demands."

A couple of people snigger at his comments but I refuse to back down.

"Back the fuck up, asshole." I repeat, glaring at him from behind my bow.

"Damn, we have a firecracker here tonight." Still smiling he takes a step closer. Slowly he raised his bat, wrapped in barbed wire and coated in blood, and he pushes my bow away. Leaning in and whispering in my ear he says, "we're not gonna hurt you. You can lose the act." He leans back and holds up his arms. "In fact darling, we're here to save you."

"I dont need saving. So thanks but no thanks."

"Damn. Do you have any idea how sexy you are right now?" I draw my eyebrows and try not to blush. "I dont need saving." He imitates waving his bat around. "What is your name darling?"

I hesitate for a moment, looking around at his group.

"Emma."

"Emma," he repeats his voice lower, "I'm Negan." He holds out his hand for me to shake and I take it. When I go to let go he pulls me closer and I stumble into his chest, my free hand landing on his chest. I can feel his heartbeat beating faintly under my palm. It's so calm. I look up into his eyes and he looks down into mine. His heart ever so slightly quickening.

For a second I forget about everyone else. I forget the situation. I even forget that its the end of the world. For a second I'm just a girl in a strangers arms, looking up into his eyes.

Then just as quickly as it went, I snap back into reality.