Another Coincidence

"Lady Kiari, you should really stop being so clumsy! These burns are scarring you!"

"Uhuh..." Kiari nodded as the maid continued to wrap her hands in a bandage. 

She was sitting on her bed, indifferent to the maid rambling on how she needs to take better care of herself. 

The maid sighed, finishing her little task, and standing up, placing her hands on her hips. "Be more careful, you don't want to have your parents worrying about you." She added before she left, taking the small medkit with her. 

Kiari stared down at her bandaged hands with a sad expression. "Maybe... I'm just... A really weak magician..." She mumbled, sighing as she thrusted her hands in front of her. "Come on!" A small beam of light appeared, which at the same time the door opened. 

Kiari gaped with wide eyes as she stared at her now speechless mother, who gave her the same look. 

"Kiari... What was that...?" Kiyumi had a horrified expression, looking at her daughters stretched out hands. Her red eyes darkened, frightening Kiari who took her hands back. "What are you talking about...?" She breathed out, trying to force a smile, but her trembling didn't help.

Kiyumi grabbed Kiari's shoulders squeezing them as she gave her a fierce expression. "Did you do that?!" She shouted, shaking her a little. 

Sweat formed on Kiari's forehead as her heart started beating faster. She was scared. Scared that her mother would send her away just like she did with her teacher when she saw him using magic.

"I...-"

"Kiyumi, why are you shouting?" They both froze as Satori peaked his head in the room, looking tired.

Kiyumi stared directly into Kiari's eyes, telling her to be quiet.

"Oh... Sorry, I was just... being silly. Why are you awake? I thought you were taking a nap?" Kiyumi let go of Kiari, turning to her husband who arched his eyebrow. "Oh, I was just thirsty..." He yawned giving Kiari a peace sign that was ignored.

"Is that so? Well, let's leave Kiari be, she still has to study." Kiyumi glanced at Kiari with a bright smile, scaring the girl even more.

"Uh... Ok?" Satori uttered as he was pushed out of the room.

Kiari watched as her mother closed the door, sending her a smile as she did so.

She let out a gasp, not realizing she was holding her breath. 

Why did she... Why didn't she say anything!? Kiari exclaimed in her head, wiping off the sweat that had formed on her forehead. 

She shook her head, thinking that maybe her mother just didn't want to worry her father... And that maybe she was going to talk about it with her later...

      Kiari was mistaken. For, her mother didn't once mention her act of magic at all. Not even when they were in private.

It had been about three weeks so far, it felt like her mother had just, by some miracle, forgotten all about it. 

Either way, it worried her. Her parents, as far she knew, never associated nor tried to understand magic at all. They were foreigners to it, just like everyone else in the Empire. She didn't blame them, but, being a magician herself, it made her uneasy, fearing her fate if they ever found out about it. Who knows what they'd call her. The last thing she wanted was to be kicked out and be considered a freak, just as her teacher was.

Her teacher, Jun Si, was once a servant of her house who worked as her attendant of sorts and was her first real friend. He introduced her to magic and showed her how amazing it was. She wanted to learn everything it had to offer.