Pigeons Are Scary

The next day, Kiari was back at the palace in another attempt to avoid her mother. It was the afternoon again and she was debating if whether or not she should go to the garden. She hadn't spoken about yesterday's events to anyone, and she didn't plan to.

She sighed as she found herself nearing the garden as she walked through the palace, passing by a few servants here and there.

As far she knew, it seemed that the garden was coincidently the place where the two brothers would go during their free time. And yesterday was probably a day off for the two of them.

She was thinking that since it might've been there day off yesterday they wouldn't be there again, but at the same time the possibility was low and she probably shouldn't risk it.

Just as she was about to go to the corner, she stopped herself, huffing as she was about to turn on her heel, thinking she should just go and find another garden.

But, again, her luck wasn't that great.

Kouen and Koumei appeared from the corner next to her, catching her off guard as she stared at them, her eyes and mouth wide open. Seriously!?! Again!? I'm not even in the garden yet!

They both stopped to look at her, Kouen had the same expression with a sweatdrop, while Koumei looking pretty happy to see her. "Kiari, your back, do you have some free time?" Koumei walked up to her, startling Kiari who was hoping they'd just ignore her and continue walking.

"W-well, I-I guess, but-" She couldn't finish for Koumei grabbed her hand, and started pulling her towards the garden.

Kouen had a poker face as he saw them leave before shaking his head and continuing to go to the training grounds, leaving them alone.

Kiari was trembling a little as they reached the garden, where Koumei jumped onto the bench, and pulled out a bag from his sleeve, surprising Kiari as she wondered where it came from. Koumei patted the empty spot next to him, staring at Kiari with his beady eyes.

Gulping she slowly jumped onto the bench, struggling to get on thanks to her small size. "So-so, um, what are you doing...?" She hesitantly asked, fidgeting with her fingers on her lap, her face red thanks to how nervous she was.

"I'm feeding the birds." He dipped his hand into the bag, bringing it out with some bird food. Kiari didn't know how to react and instead stayed silent, looking to the sole bird that was in front of them, its head instantly flipping over to Koumei when he took his hand out of the bag.

Why am I here...? Kiari thought to herself, pushing her shoulders and knees together and making her seem even smaller.

Koumei softly threw the food over the bird, which instantly started pecking the ground. This gathered the attention of the birds that hid in the tree, all of them swooping down to get their fill.

Kiari stared silently, for some reason being amused by it.

Koumei looked at Kiari, pointing the bag at her and inviting her to feed them. She hesitated but went with it, putting her hand in the bag and grabbing some food.

As she pulled it out she held it in her hand, staring at the pigeons that stared right back at her. Gulping she quickly tossed it behind them. "S-so, is this what you do in your free time?" She stuttered, watching as he continued feeding them.

He tilted his head to the side. as if questioning himself. "Hm, I guess."

Kiari nervously chuckled, deadpanning as she didn't know what to say next. "Nice..." She held a sigh as she looked around, thinking she'd spot Kouen but realized that he wasn't there.