45

lowercase because i'm lazy wbk

"you better not pull this shit on our way back. i can't afford to miss our flight," zayn grumbles as they finally make their way onto the plane, dragging their carry-on bags with them.

niall rolls his eyes at zayn's attitude, flicking him in the forehead as he moved around him in the small tunnel so he could get in front. "fuck off. we're on time, aren't we?" the brunette shot back, winking at the attractive flight attendant waiting by the door of the plane.

"barely," zayn bites back, his mood completely different from how excited and giddy he had been earlier after receiving that email from his probation officer.

of course he was happy to finally be seeing harry despite everything happening so fast—which niall loved to point out every time the topic was brought up—there was just a lot on his mind now.

he just wasn't a fan of flying or planes or even heights. it was a miracle that he survived living in new york for this long. it would be at least another three months, however, before his probation was up and he could actually leave new york for good, which is something he never thought he would actually be excited for.

he used to love new york. every weird neighbor, sleepless night, and all of the endless city lights. he used to think new york would he his forever home, but now he couldn't wait to break free of his past and move on. he had his fun but everything that happened two years ago really soured his view of the city. everywhere he went, he was reminded of the accident that almost ruined his life.

he used to not know where he wanted to go after his probation was up, but he figured if things worked out with harry... which he hoped to all of god's green earth that they do, maybe california would become his next destination.

or maybe he really was insane and niall was right.

only time will tell.

"i call the window seat so don't even think about trying to steal it," zayn muttered as he watched niall race down the aisle to their row of seats.

there wasn't many people on the plane, which he was happy about. he still refused to sit in the middle or aisle seat, though.

"but i got here first," niall pouted as he stopped next to their seats, giving zayn his best puppy dog eyes. it would have worked... if zayn thought blue eyes were attractive, which he really didn't.

"and i bought the tickets. now put your luggage away and let me through," the older boy laughed at the disappointed look on niall's face, lifting one of the compartment doors above their head and sliding his suitcase into it easily.

once both of their luggage was put away, zayn slipped past niall and claimed the window seat, instantly reclining his chair.

"you're annoying. where are my cheetos?" niall huffed as he settled into the seat beside zayn, grabbing the book bag the other man held out. he opened it and removed the bag of food, instantly ripping it open and sighing happily at the scent of fresh cheetos.

"just help yourself, why don't you," zayn rolled his eyes before closing them, crossing his arms over his chest as he tried to relax and forget that they were about to be thousands of feet in the air in mere minutes.

"what crawled up your flat ass today?" niall asked as he continued munching on his snack.

"my probation officer. she said i have to be back in new york by tuesday or they'll extend my sentence," zayn grouched, opening his eyes and turning his head to look out the small airplane window.

he heard niall hum beside him whisper, "i'm surprised they even let you go in the first place. most people on probation can't even leave their county."

"i haven't broken any of my probation rules and i had a clean record before the accident. that's why gigi got jail time and i didn't," zayn shrugged, his jaw tensing as the images of that night played back in his mind.

it had been the source of his nightmares and insomnia for the past two years.

"oh, yeah. when you got aggravated assault and she got possession, i thought you were being locked away for sure—" niall remarked aloud, making zayn smack his arm harshly and mutter, "don't say it so fucking loud."

"sorry," the blue-eyed boy shrugged, eating another cheeto before licking his fingers. "look on the bright side: you only got three years probation for a felony, and they're letting you visit your sugar daddy on the other side of the country for four days. so clean up your little pity party, put a smile on your fucking face, and get your dick sucked this weekend. if harry doesn't do it, i will."

zayn wrinkled his nose but he couldn't help laughing at niall's obnoxiously big mouth. "you're right... he's not my sugar daddy though."

"yeah... right."

— 𐐪𐑂—

A/N: again, sorry it's short but i'd rather just write shorter chapters and get them out faster bc y'all know i take forever to update 😪 just a little background on the new discoveries and a little foreshadowing 😈