01

- 1 -

-- 7 years --

I watched up in the trees as the boy walked deeper and deeper into the forest. If he didn't stop soon he would walk straight into Vita's clutches. Surely then it would be the end of him.

Perhaps I should warn him?

I had been watching him since the morning. It was weird that a journey that took me a few hours was taking him almost half a day. After watching him pack things into his pouch like thing he set out into the forest. Why the boy was doing this, I do not know.

Suddenly I grew aware of how close the boy had gotten to my home, if I didn't stop him now... who knows what might happen. Well, I do I guess. He would not live to see another day!

"Stop!" My voice betrayed me, I had not wanted to give myself away. But no one had ever come this close before. The boy paused, obviously hearing my voice. I dropped down from the trees right in front of him. "Who you?" Frustration built up inside of me, speaking was never my strong suit. I had never needed to, growing up with dragons. For whatever reason, my thoughts were in proper English but as soon as I tried to voice them. It all crashed and burned.

"Woah! Where did you come from?" The surprised boy stared at me with wide eyes, he seemed to have ignored my question completely. Not finding the point in speaking to him I simply point up. "The trees? Wow!" He gazed up into the trees like it was the most amazing thing he had ever heard. "What's your name?" He seemed so interested in me, but really what was interesting about me? I was just a girl!

"Elora. You?" The words were out of my mouth before I could stop myself.

"I'm Irving, I'm 12!" Why was this boy so excited all the time? Surely he had an off switch or something? "Well nice meeting you! I've got to go now, I'm on an adventure!" The boy walked forward, continuing on his path towards my home. More importantly, Vita's home. Maybe she wouldn't be home? Maybe none of them would be home and I could show him and then send him on his way? Who was I kidding, Caelin would definitely be home. He was lazy and slept a lot. Sometimes even til the sun was highest in the sky. Then he would wait for me to come home before going out for a fly.

My thoughts are interrupted by a roar. I gasp and break out into a run. I had gotten distracted and let the boy walk straight to his certain death. Unless I could get there in time. I ran straight into the large cave and the sight in front of me was nothing less than I expected.

Irving was standing in front of an angry Caelin, he looked terrified.

"Caelin! No!" I screamed out. Caelin's head looked between Irving and me, unsure of what to do. I could basically hear the thoughts that were running through his mind. Eat the human, or listen to Elora? "Irving, come!" Irving began to turn around quickly, this only enraged Caelin more. If Caelin made any more noise Vita, Damon and Alda would surely hear and return home. "No! Back away, slowly." I gave him instructions as well as I could. As Irving reached me I began to walk forward. "Stay." As I reached Caelin I held out my hand for him, palm down. As he began to calm down he leant forward and placed his head under my hand.