Prologue

“A rogue scientist was studying the immune system of ghouls and humans and tried differentiating them. When he achieved that he tried to combine them to make some sort of anti-serum that could cure just about anything and it backfired. The virus is airborne so you guys have to stay indoors. With the rate everything is going and trial and error and testing, we think it’ll take roughly around two weeks.” Aito’s deep voice informed (Y/N) over the phone as she paced in the kitchen.

Aito, her best friend, was keeping her posted on what was happening since he was the leading prominent man in the field of medicine in Tokyo City and also her best friend since kindergarten. He stayed ever after his best friend fell in love with a ghoul.

Tokyo was a city of ghouls and humans. Coexisting was hard but due to past events discrimination and hate for ghouls weren’t as heated as it was previously. However, humans still lived on in fear and ghouls still felt feeble and out of place in a world where they had to befriend and grow attachment to what they could later consume. Most Ghouls now are more lenient and only ate the dead humans. Of course the CCG, basically the cops for ghouls, still had a strong squad that could take care of any ghoul complications.

(Y/N) was a human, but she was raised and trained by ghouls and later married Ayato Kirishima, who was a Class SS ghoul. Her two kids, (S/N) and (D/N) were half breeds – ghoul and human both.

“So two weeks of isolation?” (Y/N) asked as she balanced the phone between her cheeks and her shoulder blades as she emptied all the popcorn she was cooking into a bowl.  Her hair was pulled back to keep her hair away from her face.

“Yes. If we’re lucky it’ll be sooner. Are you guys all good with…” Aito trailed off, trying to find the right words.

It had been fifteen years since he found out his best friend was going to have a hybrid baby. Although he fully accepted the fact that she was married to a ghoul and loved (S/N) and (D/N) with all his heart, he still couldn’t find the right words.

“Yes. Renji-san dropped by. We should be good for two weeks or more.” (Y/N) informed, glancing at the living room as she salted the popcorn.

Ayato was sitting on the couch with a controller at hand. Next to him was thirteen-year-old (S/N).

They were both playing Call of Duty Black Ops III. They had identical dark blue hair and bright peirceing blue eyes. Ayato had a light stubble along his jaw running to chin and (Y/N) had to admit that it made him look more masculine.

He looked up his gaze caught her. Ayato flashed her a wink before glancing back at the screen. She blushed profusely and looked away, embarrassed that she was staring and also embarrassed that she was embarrassed about being embarrassed. She was married to him for seventeen years now, but he was still such a charmer.

She glanced at her son. (S/N) was already 5’2 at the age of twelve but he had a round face and gentle blue eyes. Seeing Ayato next to (S/N) was like watching older Ayato sitting next to a younger version of him. They both seemed pretty concentrated.

She chuckled lowly in amusement and adoration as she turned back to the popcorn.

“You guys are going to be safe right?” (Y/N) asked, worry laced in her tone.

Aito’s wife and partner in the medical field was Cho; Cho was also (Y/N)’s best friend. Both of them were. A crippling sense of worry rushed through her at the thought of the both of them working on the front lines.

“Yes. We’ll be safe, don’t worry.”

“What about Lia? She could come stay with us in the meantime.” (Y/N) offered.