Chapter:7 (Edited)

Chapter 7

I was completely neutral about the whole adoption situation. It's nothing new after all. And about my new family? I am not thinking much about it. I am experienced in this field.

After all, what will happen?

I don't think they will abuse me or anything. I will be at the place of their lost little sister, whom they lost and never found so thought to adopt me. Though I will never take her place. I will be a good girl. Won't cause them any troubles. Maybe I have to attend some family gatherings occasionally. If they give me some rules I will abide by them. I don't think they have parents, because if they had they would have adopted me as a daughter. But here I am adopted as a sister.

That's it! It's as simple as that!

Right?

"Fingers crossed." I murmured while walking toward their fancy car, parked outside the orphanage after bidding bye to mother Susan. Mr Dominic was still holding my hand.

"Why are you crossing your fingers, Grace?" He asked but didn't look at me.

"Uhh.. nothing important, Sir." I said softly. I didn't think he would hear, but he did.

"Come on, we are not that bad that you have to cross your fingers." He chuckled a bit with an amused expression on his face.

Great, Grace! You even managed to amuse this cold person.

I looked at him with my eyes as big as saucers. He chuckled! Isn't he the same man who was threatening me a while ago, scaring me with cold eyes and cold voice?
What happened to him suddenly? Is he a bipolar?? Oh god! Save me!

"No. I am not a bipolar." He chuckled again.

"It's just the situation that demanded me to behave coldly." He added.

Shit! I said that aloud. It's so embarrassing. What he must be thinking about me?

"Sorry, sir."

"Apologies accepted but stop calling me sir. I am sir for others. For my sister it's Dominic. Only Dominic. Okay?" He asked with a small smile.

I looked at him in shock.

"What?" He asked with a frown.

"Uhh.. nothing." I mumbled and looked down.

"Tell me what's wrong?" He asked seriously.

"It's just in one of my foster families I had a brother. I called him by his first name and he didn't quite like that. He said it was disrespectful and…" I stopped there still looking down.

"And?" He encouraged me.

"And he said I needed to be punished for being disrespectful." I mumbled ashamedly and sadly.

Let me tell you the 'punishment' was horrible.  Too much horrible for my 12 years old body.

When Dominic didn't say anything I looked up and there I saw anger. Anger to kill someone. But it was not toward me and I am thankful for that. I guess that anger came from pity.

Yeah, that's what my life is. A pity..

"You will call me by my name. Okay?" He asked more firmly this time as he was still controlling his temper.

"Okay.. Do.. Dominic." I hesitated a bit before uttering his name.

Okay so it won't be that hard, huh??

"So I guess we warmed up a little. So it won't be that hard?" He asked with a smile.

"Yes. I am sure you are gonna be a great brother." I said and offered him a bigger smile this time.