Chapter 16 - A new day and a new high school

It's 7 in the morning when my alarm goes off. It's officially the first day of high school for me. I am nervous as Hell because First of all because people will notice my accent and second of all well. I rather not talk about that.

The summer holiday went by so fast. Maybe that's because there were a lot of changes in my life. I moved to the USA, met my father and the rest of his family and fall in Love. Yes, you have heard it right, Mell Davis well in Love. The last few days were spent playing basketball with dad, walking around the town with mum, going to family bbq, and spending time with Liam.I picked up my phone and saw a missed call from Jasper, my best friend from the Netherlands. I hadn't talked to him in a while. I was just too busy.

 One thing I have to do after my first day at school was calling Jasper to see how he is doing. I texted him back, asking if he wanted to call around ten my time. Hopefully, he won't be angry with me for being slow in texting back.

I walked into the kitchen. Nobody was up yet. Dad and Mum were probably still sleeping, I thought. Ohh yeah, one thing that changed too was that dad spent more time at our house now than at his own home. Not that mum and I minded. It was nice having a dad who is more present in my life. I decided to make breakfast while I listen to my favorite music to calm me down a bit. My nerves were getting a bit out of hand. I was listening to Imagine Dragons when dad walked in. I didn't hear him until someone tapped me on my shoulder. I jumped and accidentally spilled all my milk on the floor in the process.

"He Mell, good morning, misses into her bubble.""Sorry, dad didn't know you were here.""Yeah, I have been talking to you for about 3 minutes or something, haha. Let's clean this up first, shall we?'"Yeah, I will get the cloth."

Dad and I were sitting at the dining table discussing school. I was to drive with him to school since he was working there as a basketball coach. We would arrive earlier than most students since dad had to prepare practice, and I had to pick up my books and schedule.

We were driving towards the school when dad asked:

"So what are your expectations of an American high school. I know you have been to a dutch one since Brooke talked about it a bit"Yeah, I don't know. The first thing is. First, it won't be anything like the movies I bet. I hope it's different than that at least. Also, I probably have to get used to having specific lessons in English, for example, science. ""I bet, know that Haley and I are always available if something happens. We have to be there all day anyway.""Thanks, I will keep it in mind."

"Also, nobody knows your my daughter btw or Haileys, niece. We are going to keep that a secret as long as possible. We don't want people to think you will get a better grade in English or PE than other students just because your family works her as teachers.""Sounds like a good plan, really don't want to have that advance. I want to be a normal student and get my high school degree."

We pulled into the high school parking lot. The school looks so spread out. I wasn't used to that. My old highschool looked more buildup and had multiple levels of classrooms. This highschool was all spread out.Dad walked inside while I followed. There were no students, yet only some teachers walking around and the janitor.

I picked up my schedule, books, and the key to my locker. After I put my books away, I didn't need it; I decided to explore the high school a bit more. I had at least more than 30 minutes to spare till school really begun.I walked around for more than 10 minutes. I found the library, some classrooms, including the one I needed to go to for my first class and the Gym. I decided to shoot a few hoops while I still had 20 minutes to spare. I put down my backpack and started bouncing the basketball and shooting hoops. Finally, I felt a bit more at each. I was in my element.

Well, let's say I was so much in my element that I didn't notice that the high school was getting busier. Suddenly someone opened the door to the Gym. I looked up, and It was Liam. I started smiling when I saw him, and he returned a smile too.

"What are you doing here, Mell?""Uhhh, you know playing basketball dummy?"He started tickling me and said, "Who's the dummy now, Mell?""I am, I am, I said. just stop, haha. This is tickling me too much.""Alright, fine, on one condition," Liam said

"Could you try out for the basketball team, I know its an only boys team, but we really need a good player, and it would be fun if my girlfriend joins the team.""wait, girlfriend, you haven't even asked me to be your girlfriend.""Ohh, well, I thought we already were since we spent a lot of time to gather and you know we ..""True, well, mister. Then let's say we are officially Boy and girlfriend. But on one condition. Let's not tell everybody in this school or my family yet. I don't want people to know yet, alright. I am new here.

"Alright, deal," Liam said"Only, if it's for a little while, I don't want to keep this a secret for months.""No, that's not the plan. Just for the first few weeks of high school.""That's fine. Let's get you to class then."

"Yeah, sounds like a plan; I have English first of my dear aunt.; I can't be late for that."Its been a while but I am back. A lot of things happened again not only in my life but also around the world. I hope everybody is safe and healthy who is reading this. Just hold on. And as we say in my part of the world "Kop der voor" Which means held your head high and just keep going."Let me know what you guys thought of this chapter, and all ideas and feedback are welcome.Cheers and keep being strong and healthy persons.