23 - Bottled up feeling

The bottle and the letter in my backpack felt like it weighed a lot more then it is. I just couldn't stop thinking about it when I was walking towards the school.

Dad offered me a ride but I refused. I needed some clearance in my head and how I did that was through walking. just plain walking and thinking but the letter was bothering me a lot. Yesterday I didn't have time to even open it and why the hell was there a bottle of pills with it too.

I decided to take a little detour towards the river court. I know this will result in me being late for the English class but at this moment I don't care.

A few minutes later I arrived. It was very quiet only the sound of the wind hitting the iron basketball net. I went towards the benches and sat down, opened my backpack, and got the letter out. Nervously I opened the letter with a pen. I unfolded the paper and read:

" Dear Melissa,

I didn't know you were alive, to be honest. I haven't known of your existence for a few weeks ago but I just knew I needed to meet you. Unfortunately, there have been some complications in our meeting. Maybe I didn't leave that good of a first impression. I did not intend to shoot at you but someone was in the way of meeting my first and only granddaughter. I know I made some mistakes, which are, to be honest, big ones but I really wanna get to know you. Let's just talk and meet somewhere you feel comfortable. Ohh also I think you need to know something important. Your dad has been hiding a secret from you. As you see, I have a heart condition and it is inheritable. Your dad got it to form me and you could have gotten it from him. Only he is refusing or ignoring it. Therefore I wanted to tell to you. I have seen you playing basketball at training and I know you are struggling to keep up. Next to the letter, there is a bottle of pills. Those are the same pills I take and your father does. If you have trouble again you can take those and see what happens. You can also come to talk to me and we can see a doctor together. Let me know what you wanna do? You can reach me on this number. Love grandad."

I was shocked. What the fuck is this. What does he want from me? Is he playing a game with me or is it just the truth. Why would my dad hide this from me and why would the man who calls me my grandad shot at me and then do this. Should I call him? Should I meet up with him or just ignore it altogether.

My phone rang, It was Liam. "Mell, where are you?, English class is just over and Miss Scott isn't pleased, to say the least."

"Uhh, I am just dealing with some shit. Will be there a bit later alright?"

"No, I don't think that's alright. Where are you? I will come to you. It seems you are dealing with a lot of shit and haven't told me anything."

"Uhh well, that's the understatement of the year," I replied

"Where are you, Mell? Just tell me so I can help."

"I am at our usual spot, you know what I mean."

"I am on my way."

End Pov Mell

Meanwhile just after English class. Hailey as getting nervous. It's not like Mell to not show up. She ended the class and decided to talk quickly to Liam. Hailey knew Liam and Mell were close.

"Hi Liam, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Yeah sure, Miss Scott. What's up?"

"Do you have any idea where Mell is?"

"To be honest Miss Scott. I don't know. I can give her a call if you like? Maybe she is just sick at home."

"I don't think so Liam, I would have known that. Trust me."