Chapter 25: Grief

OLIVIA

"Blake, can I borrow your laptop?"

"Yeah, just give me a second."

Blake started pushing off pencils and pens and papers off his desk in his mission to unbury his laptop from the bottom of the pile. Olivia bent down and picked up things that rolled and floated the floor. Eventually, Blake managed to extricate said laptop without dropping anything else.

Olivia handed him a fistful of sketching pencils and took the laptop in exchange. "Thanks," she said.

"We really need to get you a laptop too. It's probably such a chore for you to always keep coming in here and asking. And what if we both need it at the same time, right?" Blake began rearranging his papers into a bigger mess. "Anyways, we don't have to think about that right now. Let me know if you need help with the printing or something."

Olivia didn't know how much a laptop cost, but she knew they were expensive. She didn't want to be a bigger problem to Elijah, but Blake also had trouble giving her his laptop for everything. Sooner or later, something had to give.

Pushing the thought from her mind, she sat down at Logan's desk and put the laptop in front of her. She took out her history notebook that she never used, flipped to the back of it, and rewrote the names of the police officers on both sides of the paper on a fresh paper.

 She took out her history notebook that she never used, flipped to the back of it, and rewrote the names of the police officers on both sides of the paper on a fresh paper

Then she got to work searching up every police officer there was on the list, looking for faces to put to a name.

For the next hour, she looked through online newspapers and Google images and old Facebook profiles and posts for a glimpse into who the faceless names she had carried around for four months now were. Olivia expected to see that half of them - precisely the half that resided on one side of the page - would be angry, snarling people, but they weren't. They all looked to be clean, polite officers upholding the law.

To say the least, Olivia was getting extremely discouraged until she pulled up Allen's picture, Shane Allen to be exact.

It was the same man who met Detective Julian for coffee that same day.

Olivia wrote in the name Herrera next to Allen and put a question mark next to it. She knew it could be a coincidence that they were meeting. They could just be friends, with neither of them knowing if the other was crooked or not. Detective Julian could be uninvolved in all of this, just meeting up with another officer during his break time.

But she circled his name and put a star next to it anyways. 

After writing in court cases that the police officers had testified in, people that they had put away, and their precinct numbers, she had at least a four line profile on each of the ten people her mom had so carefully written out.

And she had gotten absolutely nowhere. 

She still had no idea if anyone was bad, if anyone was good, didn't even know if they were dead or alive.