Chapter 35: Mall Mission

I realized Saturday as the day Hurst and his buddies were supposed to meet up couldn't make sense for the story so just mentally revise in your head to Sunday and pretend all the stars align and I have all the right days.  

OLIVIA

"Elijah, on Sunday a couple of my friends are going to the mall-"

"No."

"Elijah, come on-"

"Olivia, I said no."

Olivia put her chin in her hands and glumly stared at Elijah's back as he stood at the stove, making dinner. He looked back at her expression, sighed, and put down the wooden spoon to come sit next to her at the dining table.

"Olivia, look. The FBI officer is coming to meet us Monday night. I just don't want anything to happen before then."

"If nothing's happened yet, I don't think it's going to happen all of a sudden right now," she grumbled.

"You have school the next day-"

"Elijah, please." Olivia held both of his hands and leaned forward. "This could be the last time I ever get to see them. I just -"

She felt her throat clog with unnecessary tears at the thought. She had only known them for a little over two months, but she couldn't stand thinking of leaving them all behind, never being able to see them again. Melanie and Emily and Milo - they had all been friends for her when she assumed nobody would.

It wasn't the reason she so desperately needed to go out on Sunday, but it also wasn't something she didn't consider at all. 

"Olivia, we don't even know if this thing with the FBI is going to work out and if it doesn't, I think it's just safer if you stay where I know you are."

"You'll know where I am," Olivia insisted. "I'll be at the mall. You can even drop me off and pick me up. And I'll be home before dark. And I won't be alone. Those are the rules, aren't they?"

"Yes, but-"

Olivia hated begging. But her plan could only work Sunday.

"Please, Elijah?" she asked.

Olivia had no idea what puppy eyes were, but she must have been doing something right because Elijah dragged a hand down his face and sighed. "Alright, okay," he grumbled.

Olivia grinned and on impulse, she leaned forward and kissed his cheek. "Thanks, Elijah," she said, and ran off to her room, not knowing that Elijah remained at the table long after she was gone, a content smile unable to leave his face.

*****

"Milo, your jacket is going to light up the theater. How are we going to watch the movie?" Emily asked as they stood in line for tickets. 

Milo frowned and looked down at his orange windbreaker. "It's not even that reflective, Em. What are you saying?"

While they squabbled, Olivia moved up the line and began selecting the seats for the movie, picking the ones in the way back corner so that she could get in and out easier. She didn't want to go through the hassle of climbing over people's legs when she left or when she came back in. Especially if there was something wrong and she was trying to hurry. 

"It's actually a really nice color, but it's October," Emily insisted. "Things need to be sad and dreary. You look like an orange sun and it's hurting my soul."

"How did we even get from what it looks like in the theater to hurting you soul?" he asked incredulously. 

"Come on, Milo, keep up!"