The letter

'They are like wolves, where ever one goes we all go'

Tommy's p.o.v

A knock at my office door startled me out of the trace I was in, I had been trying to get some work done but I couldn't shake the feeling something was about to happen.
The door open to show Lizzie Stark holding what appeared to be a letter, "well what is it," I questioned, I really wasn't in the mood to deal with her nonsense, not today, "a letter came today from some place call Rainhill."
"Well hand it over" And she did, rather quickly, obviously seeing I was in no mood for her games, the sound of the door being slammed shut followed her as she quickly left. I flipped the letter over to see if there was any clue of who it was from, finding nothing I decided to just open it,

Dear Mr Shelby,
I apologise for only just writing to you however this is regarding the urgent matter that is your daughter, I understand that you may not have been aware about your daughter, Vanessa Jones, I urge to come and collect her, however I understand if you don't after all you have not been present for the first sixteen years of her life. However, Vanessa has got herself as well as many of the younger children and a few older boys and young men into some trouble this Miss Jones and her two brothers and as well as her self proclaimed 'family' who quite clearly have no relation, they have recently become more openly aggressive
I urge you to come and see to the issue, after all I believe prominent father figure will help put Vanessa in her place.
If you do wish to come collect her the address of the orphanage is on the front of the letter.
Yous sincerely, Mrs James

How the hell could I not know I had a daughter?

Opening my office door I spot John talking in some bets and rush over to him "Family meeting. Everyone. Now" I don't give him time to reply before I turn and held to the kitchen to grab a well needed drink, letter still clutched in my hand. "Well, you wanted a family meeting so what's so important?Thomas." I turn to face everyone. They were all sat down, waiting to see what was so urgent.

 They were all sat down, waiting to see what was so urgent

I don't answer instead I throw the letter on the table. Polly quickly snatching it up before anyone else can, I can tell immediately that she's just as shocked as I am. "THOMAS. You bloody idiot wha-"
"Read the rest of it Pol. Out loud" . I down the rest on my whiskey and turn to get another.
"Dear Mr Shelby I apologise for not writing sooner to inform you of daughter Vanessa Jones ,blah blah, involved in some attacks along with some other younger children, a few older boys and some young men they can be very violent, I urge you to come pick her up, blah blah I believe she needs a prominent father figure to help put Vanessa in her place" Polly finishes, the whole room sat is stunned silence, Arthur was the first to speak "what do we do, Tom?" I scrub my hand over my face and sigh. "Pack your bags were going to Brumley."
As soon as everyones' bags are packed we all head off, myself, Arthur and John in one car and Polly, Michael and Finn in an other.

By the time we arrive it's about five o'clock in the evening, we pull up to a small but decent looking inn and book rooms for one night. The lady working there gives us directions to our rooms and we head up, after we have settled we all gather in one room to discuss what's about to happen. After we finish going over our plan, we head downstairs and were greeted with the sight of a little boy no older than eleven see us and rush out of the door."strange" John comments. We ask for directions for the orphanage from the inn keeper who's name we found out was Linda, as we turn to leave Linda quickly adds "I wouldn't go there if I were you, it's not safe for anyone but the kids and Mrs James to go to the orphanage and even then some days I think the poor woman won't come out."
Arthur cleared his throat and let out a throaty chuckle, "we are perfectly capable of handling ourselves."
"I wouldn't be so sure, not against them." The old, grey haired lady replied. I turned and walked out the door, not willing to waste any more time, I had to find my daughter before she got hurt or worse killed.
It takes us a whole hour of walking down the old cobbled roads to find the run down building with the sign 'orphanage' at the front.

It was already getting dark as I pushed open the door to the building, we were greeted by and middle aged, strict looking women

It was already getting dark as I pushed open the door to the building, we were greeted by and middle aged, strict looking women. "You must be Mr Shelby" she states as she shakes my hand, "That I am and this is my family. And you are?"
I reply, anxious to finally meet my daughter. "I'm Mrs James, please come with me." We are led into what appears to be a living room, with no one in it. "Well, where is she?" Annoyed at the fact that she wasn't here to greet me. "I think we need to discuss a few things first. However to answer you question Vanessa isn't here at the moment, she along with a few older kids usually come home later. After dark." The raven haired woman answers, I huff in annoyance. "Very well, shall we start then."
By the time we finish the discussion it was pitch black outside, we were all shocked, Vanessa, my daughter was involved or suspected to be involved in murders, robberies and fights. I didn't understand how a sixteen year old girl could have done all that in so little time. Just as Charlotte James was about to stand to make some tea the front door opens and slams shut, my breath catches in my throat, however, I'm disappointed to see that instead of a sixteen year old girl standing there it's the same boy from the inn. "Charlie, where is Vanessa?" Mrs James questioned her voice turning cold as she addresses the young boy, however instead of being intimidated the blonde haired, green eyed boy simply laughs " how am I meant to know?" The young boy asks sarcastically, "Because, Charlie, you're like wolves, were one go the pack are ashored to follow." The young boy, who still hasn't taken his eyes off of us, replies, "Oh shut up you old hag, if you want her go find her." Before Mrs James can scold him further her receives a quick but powerful slap to the back of his head by a young blonde haired girl with startling blue eyes

"Enough Charlie, don't talk to your elders like that."
"But you do." The poor boy whined, still rubbing the back of his head "Do as I say not as I do, now go get my brothers, quickly now." The girl answered back, "Now, Mrs James, you wanted me now you got me, so what is it cause I'm kinda busy" the girl questioned as the young boy ran out the door. "Vanessa, why don't you take a seat?" Mrs James asked while anxiously fiddling with her dress, under the cold glare of the girl. Holy shit, that's Vanessa, that's my daughter, stood right in front of me. "Cut the crap, you old hag, now what do you want, I won't ask again" Vanessa commanded, well that's a Shelby if I've ever seen one.
"Well, Vanessa, do you remember that I said you father would coming to pick you up today?" Mrs James ask, clearly intimidated by the death glare she was receiving "of course I do, the drunken fool, who was absent for the whole if my life and who will be continuing to do so?" That landed like a harsh blow to the stomach, leaving my breathless and lost for words, I couldn't believe it she didn't even know me and she hated me.
"Yes well, uhh, this is your father, Thomas Shelby." Mrs James stated clearly embarrassed by what had been said.
And then something completely unexpected happened, which would leave us all lost for words.