wrinkles ☾ | epilogue

Here you go @xsxftsunflxwerx🤗 

Fifteen years later - Nova is 41 and Leo 42

I hear a sob and rush to where Nova's standing in the bathroom. She looks at me with tear-stained cheeks and holds up a piece of grey hair. I kiss her softly and cup her face in my hands. I never realised when I did this when I was younger I was instead holding my whole world. "I'm old, Leo," she chokes out, looking at herself in the mirror. "And look, oh my God, all those wrinkles starting to form-" "You're beautiful, Cassidy," I say, looking into her beautiful bright eyes. "You're still just as beautiful as you were yesterday, and as beautiful as you will be tomorrow. Don't let growing older put you down, don't look at every imperfection. Because to me, they're what makes you you." she sobs into my shoulder and I soothe her, running my hands through her hair. "Since when did this turn into a pep talk?" she says and I laugh.

"Mum, I'm going to hang out with Ichika!" calls Juniper from the living room. Ichika is Emilia and Cashel's daughter. She is the same age as Junie and they grew up together and are so close they're practically sisters. We treat Ichika like she's a niece. "Ok, be back by five! Remember, it's your turn to babysit today!" She groans, thinking about her half cousins. "But Luca, Oliver and Violet are such brats! Why do I have to do it?" I give her a death glare and she sighs. "Got it, Mum. Be back by five." She rushes out the door.

"Hey, Mum!" Andromeda says. "Andy!" I wrap her in a tight hug, not expecting to see her. "How are you?" The twenty-two-year-old lets her hair loose from a tight bun, showing off her signature Morshower curls. She gives a groan and I laugh. We take a seat on the couch. "Would you like some tea?" "Yes please," she says and I tell the robot to my right to fill the kettle. "I don't know how Tobias copes all the time! I spend one day with our adopted daughter and it turns into chaos!" I chuckle. "What happened this time?" "Akira got into the paints." "Oh." "Uh-huh," she nods as the robot floats over to us, holding out the cup of tea on a little saucer with an outstretched arm. She takes a sip. "Mmm... What flavour is this?" she says, puckering her lips slightly. "Um, I think that one was ginger, coconut, vanilla and lemongrass," I say. "Soo good!" I nod in agreement.

I hear a crash. "Oh my God..." I laugh and sigh, shaking my head wearily. "I'll be back." "NO! IT'S MINE! YOU LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE! JUST YOU WAIT TIL I TELL DADDY!" yells Violet. I knock on the door of the kid's room and look in. "Is everything alright, guys?" Violet immediately straightens her dress and puts on an irresistible cute five-year-old face with pouting lips and puppy dog eyes. None of my kids was ever this bratty at five years old. Must have been the mother. They were the result of Octavius' marriage to their mother, who left him years ago because it turned out she was cheating on him with another guy and was pregnant with his baby. Tavi and she haven't spoken since, except for the odd hello while picking up the children. It was their turn to stay at our house this week. I still love my niece and nephews, though they are quite a handful.

The four-year-old twins, Luca and Oliver, hide their hands behind their back. "Are you sure you're ok?" I say, pretending to not see the severed doll in Oliver's hands. "Yes, Aunty Nova," they say in unison and I head out the door. "Ok, cousin June's going to be here soon, and if you're on your best behaviour you might be able to have cupcakes."

"What was that all about?" "Oh, I don't know. I think Violet was mad at the boys for stealing a doll or something, I don't know." "Where's June?" Andy asks. "She'll be here any minute now-" "Did someone say June?" My youngest daughter enters the room. Leo wraps her in a hug. "Jeez, I was only gone for a few hours!" Leo chuckles and ruffles her hair. "Where was she?" Andy asks me quietly. "Ichika's," I whisper back. "Oh,"

"Mum?" I hear a knock on my door and a quiet voice. I close the document I was writing an article in and spin around on my chair to face June. "Yes, honey?" "I need to tell you something I've been keeping from you." I frown, she's usually very open with me. She sits down next to me on my bed. "Okay," I say. "Promise you won't get mad," she says, worried. "I won't," "Ok," she takes a deep breath, "I... have a boyfriend." I gasp. June is the least likely of my daughters to get a boyfriend. "What's his name?" I question, a smile creeping onto my face, a blush spreading along hers. "Credd," "Oh, isn't that the guy who went to your primary?" She nods. "How long?" "A few months."I pretend a fake gasp. "And you didn't tell me?" "I'm sorry," she says, "I didn't know how you'd react. I said I was at Ichika's but really I was with Creed. We went to the cinemas." She hangs her head low. "It's ok, honey," I pull her into a tight hug. I grin up at her. "So, tell me more! What film did you see? What does he look like? Is he a good kisser?" I tease. She laughs.