6 | Levi

To Des,who is one the kindestsouls I know <3

To Des,
who is one the kindest
souls I know <3

In tune with the elevation of my pulse, my feet hit the concrete, heel first

In tune with the elevation of my pulse, my feet hit the concrete, heel first. Isaiah's speed matched my own as we ran through our somewhat-safe neighbourhood.  Nights like this, the moon was our only hope for safety.  It illuminated the footpath enough to compensate for the dim streetlights. The same streetlamps that had shed light on various crimes.

"What are you thinking about?" My brain only barely registered my younger brother's voice.

After taking a few seconds longer than necessary to process his question, I answered, "That we live in a shit neighbourhood."

"That's a fact and a half," Isaiah's cool voice drifted around us.

My eyes shifted to the park where a girl had been raped two weeks ago. "Have you heard about Melrose case?"

Isaiah nodded his head. My lips twisted into a grim frown.

"The boys were rich and white, so they got slapped on the wrist with community service."

I halted in mid-step. Isaiah froze one step ahead of me.

"What kind of bullshit is that?" I asked.

He tilted his head. "It happens all the time."

"That's fucking disgusting, they have to do more."

Isaiah didn't blink as he added, "Did you know that only six per cent of sexual violence cases are reported in New Zealand?"

Even though it was phrased like a question, I knew he wasn't looking for an answer. As my mind processed Isaiah's words my fists clenched tightly beside me. It wasn't news to me that a lot of sexual assault cases weren't being reported. But six per cent?

"And only eleven percent of reported cases end in conviction."

My eyes narrowed, taking in Isaiah's posture and face. He always seemed like he was floating, light and breezy. Today, he looked like he'd been burdened with something beyond his age.