9 | Scarlet

Ned,Your comments make my day

Ned,
Your comments make
my day.

Awkward

Awkward. It was the first word that came to mind to describe my current predicament. There was nothing more uncomfortable than standing on the sidelines of my school field, still clad in my school blazer, and watching my boyfriend's school play mine.

To be fair, it would've been more awkward if I were naked.

Jack stood on the field, his coach mouthing angrily at the team of boys. My eyes strayed just as Levi propped the mouthguard back into his mouth. There was something about the insignificant action that was almost striking. With that absurd thought, I snapped my eyes back to Jack's figure.

"Who do you want to win?" Ji-hye asked before she took a loud sip of her drink. The green of her kale juice sloshed in the clear cup, the re-useable straw lingering on her lips.

I shrugged unfazed. "It's a win for me either way."

"I really want Jack to lose."

I snorted at her words, unsurprised.

When I didn't say anything, Ji-hye continued, "To watch that smug smile fall off his face. I'd do anything for that."

"Keep talking, and I'll assume you don't like my boyfriend," I drawled sarcastically, biting my lips as Levi took Jack down with a tackle.

Malachi cheered, covering the outline of his mouth with his hands. Even, quiet and poised Lachlan, hollered.

Watching Jack brush himself off, my lips tipped down. He cracked the muscles in his neck, and I recognised the habit instantly. There was no way our plans for tonight were going to go down smoothly.

Malachi leaned in towards me. "How come you're not cheering your mans on?"

"Because she secretly wants us to win," Ji-hye replied with a scoff.

I directed a pointed gaze at her, but she avoided my stare, facing the game.

The referee blew into his whistle, the shrill sound piercing through the air.  At the announcement of the end, everyone relaxed. The hollering and cheering beside me intensified and Tori, Levi's younger sister, jumped into Isaiah's arms.