Lord Ranphoros

"I hope you haven't ruined the couch," said a male voice. Barmond recognized it. It usually was suave and composed, but right now it couldn't hide its owner's annoyance.

He looked up to lord Ranphoros.

The incubus was a prime example of the sub-species of incubus called nobles. He was tall and intimidating, with horns that panned out on the side of his head and large, black feathery wings. His skin was a lovely shade of magenta, with a shimmer to it that made onlookers want to reach out and touch it. He did nothing to hide it too, save for a cloth tied around his hips. Barmond guessed that black was his favorite: when he wore clothes, he didn't put on any other color.

"No, he hasn't, Ran," answered Hugo as he rolled off Barmond.

"Really?" The incubus leaned in to inspect the state of the couch. It was intact, save for being covered in Barmond's come. "Fine. But don't forget to clean it."

"Ran, I don't need you to breathe down my neck when I fuck a vampire," said Hugo in a warning tone.

The lord narrowed his eyes at his second in command but dropped it quickly. When he walked away, his feathery tail twisted in annoyance.

"What's up with him?" asked Barmond when he was out of earshot.

"Actually, I am not quite sure. He certainly has a problem with you and me being together, but it only started after I kissed you the first time."

Barmond wasn't too reassured by that. No one wanted to land themselves on the wrong side of an incubus as powerful as lord Ranphoros.

"Don't be scared, I'll protect you," said Hugo as he ruffled his hair.

"I'm not scared," hissed Barmond. He tried to swat the other's hand away. "You mongrel. I don't need your protection."

Hugo laughed. "If you say so."

"Why do you never believe me? I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself without having a babysitter looming over me like I'm some toddler—"

Hugo must have guessed that this rant was going to be a long one, so he pulled him in for a kiss and effectively gave Barmond's mouth better things to do. The vampire stopped talking but he didn't soften. He broke the kiss but was interrupted before he resumed.

"I think that you are more than capable of fending for yourself. The problem is that you might be too good at it, and one doesn't simply attack Ran and gets away with it. Let me handle the man."

That sounded unusually sensible for Hugo. Barmond accepted this answer with a disdainful snort and discreetly sank a little deeper in his arms.

"What do you think of Ranphoros?" asked Hugo.

"What... I think of him?" Barmond was a little taken aback by the questions, but he gave it a serious thought. From Hugo's tone, he could guess that the werewolf was on to something. "He's a capable leader. Full of charisma. Both smart and knowledgeable... I have to admit that I was a little surprised by him at first."

"Surprised? In what way?"

"Well, he's not... passionate. I would have expected an incubus out of all people to be a whole lot more demonstrative, especially when I compare him to his daughter... or any other succubus from the nest. The warm color only reinforces this impression."

Hugo laughed. Barmond narrowed his eyes at him, not quite sure what to make of his reaction. What had he done this time?

"Don't look at me like that," said the werewolf with a kiss to his brow. "You're spot-on. Ran used to be even more reckless than Maggie, and she still sneaks out in town without his permission at the first chance she gets. But I was interested in how you felt about him. If you are attracted to him at all."