The Pack

A knock against the wooden panel under the driver's seat was what awoke Barmond. After all, that was the signal he had agreed upon with his human companion in case anything was wrong with the road.

Barmond already knew that they were at the gates of Gadrel once more. It was late afternoon and he was supposed to have been sleeping, but really he was too tense to even relax. Despite the weight of the sun on his shoulders, he kept peeking through the carriage's curtains and nervously fidgeting.

They had been on the road for the last two days now, having left the night after his return to Schertzwald. Pit stops had been taken on the way, both to rest the horses and feed the vampire, but they had made their way with hast. No one kept one of the most eminent supernatural lords of the west coast of the continent waiting, especially when the said lord was not known for his patience.

"My lord?" said the lackey that had been driving Barmond. "The guards wish to speak with you."

Barmond opened the door of the carriage. The last ray of light of the day snuck into the dark cabin, but he remained in the shadows, standing and leaning forward under the low ceiling. Two guards stood just outside. The moment they saw his face, pale in the shadows with its piercing blue eyes, they took off the hats of their uniform.

"Erm, sir," said one - not a captain, but probably the leader of the duo. "We hope it's not too much trouble. We've just got to ask you a few questions. If you don't mind. Sir. Like, erm, what you're doing in town."

"I'm on business and looking for the Smidsegilde," said Barmond, citing the name of a smithing guild in the city. Not the most prominent one, obviously, but they also dealt with the traffic of iron and other ores - or so Barmond had gathered. "My master, lord Von Schwertzwald, wishes to purchase."

"Oh, we weren't asking that much detail..." said the guard. "We can send someone with you to show you the way, too, if you wish, my lord..."

"I'm no lord."

He put on his new gloves, then his new hat. This time, he did look a lot better than last time, all in black with a more modern cut to his clothes. All of his skin was in the shadows when he stepped out of the carriage with his head lowered. The guards stepped aside to let him pass.

"Henry," he said to his driver, "this is here that we part. Here, find yourself a good place to say for tonight, and don't drink too much." He tossed a silver coin at him.

"Thank you, sir."

The guards exchanged a look. It wasn't common for a merchant to dismiss their servant at the door and enter the town on foot, but this was what Barmond did. From that point onward, he was alone in lord Ranphoros' domain, and under his protection. If any of his agents were already watching him, they would understand that he did that to show his willingness. He needed the good rep, after the show he had put on during his escape.

"A good evening to you," said Barmond with a slight bow of his head in the direction of the guards.

They got the hint and returned to their duties.

Gadrel was cleaning up and putting away its tools after a long day of work; Barmond quickly found his spot in the crowd of people walking home or away from it for some good time. He knew the place where he should be next and that is where he was heading, even if he did so with obvious hesitation.

At least Howling and Drinks was a little classier than what The Fishy Monster had been, even if his clothes still made him stand out like a sore thumb. Granted, for that to happen, someone would have had to be watching him, and right now that wasn't the case. The many artisans and sailors that frequented the places were busy with their cups and company. But the company Barmond was looking for had yet to arrive.