The Daughter

Hugo came back.

Barmond knew right away it was him from his smell. They said that once a vampire had drank the blood of a mortal, that they always recognized their scent. So far, Barmond had yet to see it proven wrong. That didn't mean he was about to acknowledge that he was there. Barmond was still mad about having been made a fool earlier.

"I know you're not asleep, Barmond," said Hugo.

"Don't use my name," said Barmond.

"I see that you've decided to behave while I was gone, vampire," said Hugo. "I'll make sure to mention that to lord Ranphoros when I see him."

Barmond opened his eyes and stood up from his bed to face Hugo. He crossed his arms behind his back and stood with his feet apart. Hugo was a lot more relaxed. One arm against the cell bars over his head, he was leaning and staring Barmond down. His face, however, showed very little emotion.

"I've come to tell you that you will not be executed, not right away at least. I'm sure you're glad to know that."

"Hmm."

Barmond could talk about how his sire would be sure to take care of that when he came home, but the last thing he wanted was Hugo's pity.

"Bear in mind," added Hugo, "that this decision is temporary. Lord Ranphoros does not appreciate spies."

"When have I said that I was a spy?"

"We already knew that you were. We have your stuff, and we looked through it." He paused, before adding, "All we needed was the name of who you were addressing in your reports."

Barmond didn't reply. He stared down the werewolf. If only he had a silver-tipped knife he could drive into Hugo's chest. He was wide enough that it would be an easy target.

"If I may add, you are lucky that you were only a spy. That had made forgiving your trespassing easier for my lord. Should you have come with the intent of harm, not even my vouching would have appeased him."

"Wait. Your vouching?"

Hugo gave him a smug smile. What was that supposed to mean?

"What did you tell him?" asked Barmond.

"I only remarked on certain things I noticed."

Barmond bit his tongue, stopping himself from asking more questions. Why would Hugo be vouching for him? All Barmond had done for him had been rearranging his face with silver powder and stabbing him in the leg, and that didn't even count how difficult he must have made his day.

"That is all I've come to say," said Hugo. "Have a good night."

He was already turning away when Barmond called out to him.

"Hugo?"

"Oh?" The other turned his head. "So you can call my name, but I can't?"

"Next time you try to do this thing on me, this..."

"It's called bloodblissing."

"This bloodbliss. I'll bite off your nose."

"With what?" He rose his brows. "Your fangs? But aren't they cute little kittens?"

Oh, he did not just say that.

Barmond pounced forward, slamming into the bars of his cell. The guard jerked back, surprised. Hugo didn't. He just laughed, standing just out of reach. Barmond could have sworn that he was about to tear the whole place down to rip out his eyes.